Translate

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Waiting again

            It seems as if I am always waiting on something. One day I am waiting on the coffee to brew then next I am waiting on the grass to grow. Today I am waiting for the appropriate time to go outside and start mowing. The back yard is growing at an alarming rate due to the mild temperature ranges and the occasional rain fall.
            My yard (front and back) has weeds, and they along with the grass, are growing.
I took a short walk the other morning to help break in some new walking shoes; yes even retired people on a fixed income can occasionally purchase new shoes, thank goodness for the Good Will Store.
During my walk I was surprised at the appearance of many of the yards on our street. Even those with sprinkler systems, were not what I would consider above average. I became aware that my yard, even with the weeds, looked as good and in some cases even better than other yards. 
            Being a student of “Yard-ology” I am aware of several important facts.
        1.    A yard that is edged properly will appear neat and well-manicured. Proper edging along the drive, side walk and street requires a 1 to 2 inch clearance between the cement and the grass. In other words, one should be able to see the bare dirt. There should be no debris in this edged area (no leaves, cut grass etc.).
        2.     The grass in the yard should be cut tall, (tall is defined as about 4 inches). Tall grass hides some of the weaker spots in a yard, it allows the root system to grow strong, and it helps keep moisture in the ground.
        3.     The street curb should be clean in front of your home. It doesn’t matter where the debris came from, if it is in front of your home you should clean it up. This includes taking the trash container off the street the same day that trash is collected.
       4.     Other information is available upon request.
 
The proper early morning starting time (AKA good neighbor attitude) to work in the yard is universally accepted to be 8:00am. If there are small children or someone who works nights living close, you may want to start somewhat later.
            It is now 9:00am and I have waited long enough to begin the mowing process in the back yard. I have been mowing the front and back yards on different days. It is done in part to allow me to work shorter periods on any one day and also due to Alex being here.
How does Alex play into the mowing process; I can’t mow or edge when he is in the yard so someone has to be here to keep an eye on the boy while I do yard work.
            A few minutes ago as I was sitting here putting this “attention-grabbing article together”, Alex can in and said he wanted a cookie. He then explained that he had to potty. While I was getting the cookie he ran to the toilet and did his business.  
He came out of the restroom with his shorts and underwear in hand (that is a well-known Ford mannerism). I asked him to put his underwear on to which he replied, “I can’t”. I asked why and he explained, “My hands are too little”.
That statement caught me off guard; Alex puts his clothes on by himself when he wants to. I have given him an “A” for originality and thoughtfulness. This young man comes up with some good comments. 
               I hope this article finds you in a good mood and good health.
Have a very nice day.
 
Don Ford 
 

No comments: