Translate

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

It pays to be cheap

               Or, maybe it pays to experiment with less expensive options. The story today has to do with washing a car but more about that in a minute.
               Yesterday my son Dave and I were talking and I commented that I will be glad when I get these cataracts removed. I have glasses that do not help me see, as a matter of fact I can see better at a distance without the glasses.
The word cataract cause me to harken back, that means I was remembering a story that I was going to tell whether anyone wanted to listen or not. I noted that when I was a little puppy my dad’s brother “Jake Ford” worked on the railroad and he had cataracts. In those days it was not common to have the cataracts removed and when Jake got to a point of not being able to see the hands on his railroad pocket watch he gave it to my dad. I got the watch when my dad died. I have had it repaired once but it did not stay repaired long. I now carry a Wal-Mart special pocket watch that cost about $12.00.
Once I began to remember things I went on to provide the history of the school clock that hangs on the wall in the front room. The school clock first hang on the wall of Shivelbines Hardware Store (name may be spelled incorrectly) which was located on Good Hope street in Cape Girardeau, Mo. They used the clock for many years but eventually the electric clock took its place. Jess Bolen (my step father) bought the clock and used it for many more years. My wife of 44 years got the clock from Jess. It had a thick coat of ugly green paint on it which she carefully removed to restore the clock to its original beauty. We have had the clock more than 34 years; we are not sure just how old it is.
What was my original thought? Oh yes, it pays to be cheap sometimes. Claire had decided to clean her vehicle inside and out which included attempting to un-fog the headlight lens. Some head light lens covers become foggy after years of use which will reduce the amount of light projected when driving at night. I had, in my all-knowing way, explained to Claire that I had been told tooth paste would get the haze or fog off the lenses. Claire had purchased a head light cleaning product for around $13.00, which she used on the driver side lens. She used tooth paste on a cloth to clean the passenger side lens. The tooth paste side was visibly clearer. I should say the cleaning product came with a sealer which she used on both side. You can use regular car wax as a sealer.
 
Being on a fixed income not only means I am cheap but I may be better. 
 
Have a day of joy, filled with blessing.
 
Don Ford
 
                 
 

No comments: