Translate

Friday, October 26, 2012

Travel use to be interesting

I was recently reminded that in another life (when I worked) I use to travel a lot.

 
               Traveling was sometimes interesting and other times boring. Sitting in an airport watching people could be interesting such as watching a man dressed as a woman walking through the airport in high hills (he should have had a closer shave)
There were always a few people that had their PJs on and carrying their pillow. I never really understood the pillow thing unless it was their security pillow (blanket). 
What about the people that wanted to be seen as important, they would be on their cell phones talking loud enough that everyone could hear them.
The young business people, possibly just back from a seminar and all pumped up, talking about how they do this or that.
Experience tells me that business people keep quite in public arenas and they don’t have to try to impress others.
There is a group of people that can’t look other humans in the eye so they get their, “smart phone, lap top or tablet” out and read or send endless text messages. Some could be playing a game but whatever they are doing, they are not interacting with other humans.
You may not know this but one of the main reasons the “smart phone” was invented was to provide introverts and social outsiders a way to avoid directly interacting with others.
The smart phone allows those people to never look up. In a national study it was noted that these people have trouble with simple facial expressions such as a smile or a frown.
 
I am unemployed and on a fixed income so I can’t afford a smart phone.
You might consider purchasing a smart phone with a one or two year paid service plan, as a Christmas present for me.
When I receive my smart phone I promise to look up occasionally.
 
Travel often has unexpected events such as delayed flights. I was in Montgomery New York which is in Orange County home of “Orange County Choppers” and the forecast was for a couple inches of snow.
I knew 2 inches of snow would not cancel my 1:00pm flight. I left work about 11:00am and stopped at the Prema’s deli to purchase a Turkey Club sandwich (this sandwich is better than xxx). It was snowing lightly when I arrived at the airport and to my surprise my flight was canceled.
I had learned that it did not help to get upset with the person working behind the counter so I politely asked why the flight was canceled. It was due to the foot of snow in Philadelphia which was where I would change planes.
Another time my flight canceled in New York was due to a flat tire. They had to get a tire from out of town and we were grounded.
I was in Montgomery New York when the 911 terrorist attacks occurred. Needless to say all flights were grounded. We were instructed to keep our rental cars in case we had to drive home.
 
One of the places I enjoyed traveling to was Lexington SC. I flew from DFW direct to Columbia SC, then a short drive to Lexington. Mary (a nice person but don’t tell her I said that) works in the Logistic office at Do it Best Corp. home office; made my travel arrangements.
There was a sea food restaurant in Lexington (Harbor Inn) just one block from the hotel. They had good food, cheap prices and I could walk there. The hotel had free adult beverages in the evening and one would not want to drive after indulging.  
There was a time when Mary was off and the president’s assistant made my arrangements for a flight to Columbia. She routed me from DFW through Memphis then to Columbia. This was not the usual flight but Do it Best was always looking for ways to save money on travel.
Memphis has a large airport and that was my first time there.  As I approached my gate they were calling my name to board the flight. I hurried onto the plane and was seated. Since I was the last one on they close the door and started the motors. They went through the normal info about seat belts and emergency exits. The captain came on the PA welcoming us to the flight and told us how long the flight to Columbia, MO would be.
It was at this point that I took a good look at my ticket and found that I was going to Columbia Missouri not Columbia South Carolina. I commented to the lady next to me that I thought I was going to Columbia South Carolina. 
She suggested that I tell them I was on the wrong plane. I explained that my ticket was for this flight so I was on the right plane going to the wrong place.
She noted that I was very calm about the situation; she said she would be in a panic mode if it were her, in my place. I explained that “it happens” and it would not do any good to get upset.
 
From the ex-traveler mind of                       Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                                                                                                                  
                  
 

No comments: