Translate

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Alex and me I

            Today is the first day of the Garage sale so Alex and I had the day together.

               Donna left, “The Ford Homestead” this morning at 7:30 taking Gabi to school. From there she went to Waco for the garage sale, where she stayed all day. Claire also left at 7:30 for work.
               Alex and Tejas were unhappy because they did not get their usual ride to school.
Alex and I stayed outside for a while after they left. The wind was blowing and it only took Alex a few minutes to decide he wanted to be on my lap for the extra body heat.
               We decided to venture inside and play cars on my desk. Alex allowed me to check my emails while he played cars. It was much warmer and less windy inside.
               Later in the morning (after the sun came out) we went out to get the mail. We decided to play cars in the drive way. Being the artist that I am I drew a parking lot and a road to play cars in and on. Yes I am the artists who drew the sale boat.
Kids can still have fun without a computer.
A little later we went in to the back yard to swing. Alex gets to swing and I get to push him (you would think he would push me occasionally).
What did you say? “He will get to push me in a wheel chair in the future”. I don’t think that comment was funny!
               As I was pushing Alex in the swing, my mind drifted back to the playground at the May Green grade school. I remembered the swings seats were wood and chains connected the seat to the frame. Most of the time we would swing alone without help.
Occasionally one kid would push the other kid. When you were pushing the other kid we would go under the swing.  Pushing from behind you would push and run under the kid/swing you were pushing.
There was a way for two people to swing in the same swing at the same time. One kid would sit in the center of the swing and the other kid would stand on the swing, facing the opposite direction, his feet to the outside of the swing seat.
Another lost art in swinging is standing up while you swing. Today’s swing seats are not made of wood and it is almost impossible to swing standing up.
Modern day swings made from a flexible strap are probably safer that the swings of old but for this old man not nearly as comfortable.
Back to my day; I prepared lunch for the two of us and we ate at my desk while listening to Rush Limbaugh (another good ole boy from Cape Girardeau, Mo.). Eating mac and cheese at the desk may have been a bad decision. There was a cheesy mess on my desk where Alex was seated. MY side of the desk was spotless.
The rest of the day was kind of normal, we watched some cartoons and at 2:00pm Alex and I took our afternoon nap.
 
From the swinging mind of          Don Ford       get your mind out of the gutter
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 

No comments: