Translate

Friday, October 5, 2012

Pecan Harvest Reports

            We have found another use for the harvested pecans; Alex and I have been practicing counting (I need the practice more than Alex).

               After returning from taking Gabi to school Alex and I checked for pecans on the ground and ready to fall from the tree. Today we acquired another 15 or so pecans.
The squirrels for the most part have been leaving my pecans alone. I have seen two squirrels in the neighbor trees and yesterday I thought I saw one with an almost black tail. That is very odd for two reasons.
First, I have seen gray and red squirrels but never seen a black squirrel.
Second, a friend had recently told me about seeing a black squirrel during a trip to Ohio.
Did I imagine that I saw a squirrel with an almost black tail or was it real? I can’t say for sure but I will keep my eyes open and report back to you possibly with a photo.
I was sitting here at the key board when I noticed Alex run out of my security camera view. I immediately got up to see what was up. There is a person mowing the neighbor’s yard and I thought that Alex may have been heading that way. I was out in the back yard very fast. Alex was heading toward the person who had been mowing. I explained to Alex that he should not talk to strangers unless I was with him. I don’t think he really understood (he is 2.5 years old) but it doesn’t hurt to tell him.
 
Alex came in to the house and there was a knock at the door. It was the fellow that was mowing next door. Tejas and I went outside to greet this person. The man looked at me and asked, “What is your call sign”? I replied “KJ5OD”. He told me his call sign but I do not remember it. He noted that he had seen my tower and antennas and wondered if I was someone he had spoken to on the radio.  He is a ham radio operator who lives in Woodway. We talked about radio a little and explained that I had not used a radio in several years.  He told me went the local nets were, so I might give them a listen.  He returned to his mowing and I came back to the key board.
 
We have now harvested enough pecans to make a pecan pie with a few left over. We will continue the harvest until the last pecan has fallen.
 
Today is Friday and we are looking forward to the winter weather this weekend. It is predicted to get down in the low 40s, winter weather. I have started looking for my coats and gloves prior to the cold front arriving.
This should be the last posting until this weekend.
 
From the weathered mind of                       Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                                                                                                                 
                  
 

No comments: