Translate

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

SCARED...

            It was a normal Tuesday morning the weather was warm but cloudy so after some discussion with my Amigos Tejas and Alex it was decided to…

 
               I have had sun damage to my arms and I cannot work in the sun without a long sleeved shirt or sun screen. Since the day was overcast we decided to attempt to rake some acorns.
As I have explained in the past our red oaks drop acorns at an astonishing rate. In a recent study by the Texas A&M, our red oaks drop 38% more acorns than an average tree and our acorns are 41% larger than average. In the same study it was determined that it would take 217 squirrels working 12 hour days through December 19th to clean up all the acorns.
I went to the shed to get a rake and Alex went with me. I assumed he would get his rake and help me with this chore. I usually bring the wagon to the front yard and Alex cops a ride. Today I did not pull the wagon deciding to get it later if I need it.
Alex loaded the wagon with 4 rakes, 2 shovels and one hoe, all kid sized. Yes he has a lot of yard tool and the word hoe refers to a garden tool (get your mind out of the gutter).   
I was in the front yard when I heard Alex making noises as if he was straining. I checked on him and he had pulled the wagon loaded with his tools to the gate but failed to negotiate the gate opening and the wagon was stuck. I went to his aid and brought the loaded wagon to the drive way.               
I returned to the chore at hand and he brought a rake to help. Alex helped for about 10 minutes and then lost interest. He then went to the back yard to play. I continued raking the grass for acorns. I was getting some dead grass and some of the acorns but the grass is deep and it is hard to get the acorns from the ground up through the deep grass.
It was at this point that I heard a scream. It was not a normal kid playing scream, it was a scream that I would only expect to hear if a pit bull was dragging the kid away or possibly if the kid was hanging upside down with the swing chain wrapped around his leg.
This horrendous scream was coming from Alex and in this screaming voice he was calling for papaw (me). I knew he was in trouble and in my panicked mind I could only think of the worst things that could happen. My grandson was in trouble. I dropped the rake and literally ran to the back yard. I didn’t know I could still run but I can. I could see his head at the swing set and he was still screaming. The adrenalin was pumping when I arrived at the scene.
Alex was standing beside the swing and he was alright.
There was no blood, his arms and fingers were all in place. 
He was upset because he could not get on the swing seat and wanted me to put him on the swing. I put him on the swing and tried to explain that he had “scared me almost to death”.
Being 2.5 years old I don’t think he understood what affect he had on a retired senior citizen.
 
To add insult to injury, after I put him on the swing seat he wanted me to leave because he is learning to swing alone.
 
I survived and I now know I can respond quickly to a grandkids call for help.
From the calm, adrenalin free mind of      Don Ford

All rights reserved: any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.

 
 
                 
 

No comments: