Translate

Monday, June 20, 2016

Snap, craple and pop 06.20.16


            Yep, I know what I wrote as a title, do you? Crap can mean anything, and craple not only rimes with crackle, it has a more inspirational meaning to it. 
Occasionally I find it necessary to create a new word, which by the way, drives my spouse of 47 years crazy! She seems to think I do it all the time verbally, I am not saying she is wrong, but she could allow a senior citizen a little leeway, in the creation of new vocabulary.
By continuing to read this properly composed article, about a partial day in the life of the Fords, you may learn of happiness and sadness beyond belief.
It was a Friday afternoon, the temperature was 95 and the humidity was about 200%. David, Alex and I had drove down to Baylor University to pick Gabi up after class. Yes you read that correctly, my Grand Daughter is going to Baylor University. Yes she is only 9 years old but a Baylor student, all the same!
            After picking Gabi up, we stopped at a well-known fast food establishment, one of the nicer in this area, “Bushes Chicken”, as the kids needed nourishment, while Dave and I needed an ice tea. We then drove to the Ford Homestead, where I backed onto the drive as usual, allowing for a quick exit. This is an old habit from when I was a fireman.
            As we disembarked from the Ford’s Chevy there was a snap, craple and popping noise. Our attention was directed to a tall tree on the back 40. A limb was breaking as we exited the vehicle. It did not fall, it just hung there, over the location of where the pool should have been. See photo below.

            Have you ever had bad news that turned out to be good news? Well you should read on as this tale has two examples of news being both, good and bad.
            First consider this. My first wife bought a pool for the kids and encouraged me to install it. The pool had a leak in it, and I had to take it down, “Bad news”. The tree limb that broke was over the area where the pool should have been, since the pool was not there, the leak which was originally bad news is also, “good news”. (I know someone doesn’t understand, so think about it, if the pool was there the limb when it finally falls would have hit the pool, why do I have to explain everything!)
            The limb was very high near the top of a large tree. I had tried most of the day Saturday to find a way to get that limb down. I even put a four foot extension on my 16 foot pole saw (made it 20 foot and very hard to handle) I got on top of an eight foot step ladder and I still could not reach the broken part of the limb.
Later in the day when all hope seem to be gone, I asked for a little help from above. With this divine help, I was then able to get a rope with a weight on it up in the limb and twisted around a limb. I then, after much straining, was able to make the limb fall to earth. Photo below.
 
            Again, we have good news which is also bad news. The good news was that the limb fell to the ground and the bad news was the limb fell to the ground
            Earlier in the day I had hauled off a trailer load of limbs and now I am starting to fill the trailer again. As I was waiting in line to have the limbs removed from my trailer, I noticed what at first appeared to be some type of ancient writing on the million gallon water tank that I was parked next to. It is difficult to see in the photo below, you may see it better if you click on the photo.

As I viewed the drawing I realized it was not a drawing but cracks in the tank. I was hoping it did not give way while I was sitting there.
            What, you have a question. Ok, what is your question? Oh, I thought that was obvious! The question is, how was getting the limb down both good and bad news. Good news is I got it down, bad news I got it down and now I have to start rebuilding the pool, which is a lot of work for this retired senior citizen!

            Don’t retire, there is too much work to do.

May your news, always be good!

Don Ford

No comments: