Translate

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 5th 2016 04.06.16


            It was a Tuesday unlike any other, early in the spring of 2016. I had slept in, refusing to bounce out of bed at 5:00am as I usually do, instead I slept in until 5:30am, nice!
            On this particular day I did not get on that stationary bike and ride for 30 minutes, instead, opting to wait until day light and walk for my morning exercise.
            I had accepted an invitation to go on a ride with some friends and others that was to begin at 10:00am. We were to meet at a certain gas station / quick shop and begin the ride from there. About 9:30am my spouse of now 47 years, came into my study (aka office) and asked what time I was supposed to meet the group. I am glad she asked, because I had lost track of time, as I was again involved in writing my story.
            I sprang into action, and got dressed appropriately for the ride. As I moved the wing out of the garage I noticed how dirty it was, especially the windshield, but I did not have time to clean anything now, I am almost late. For those who know me, I am almost always one of the early arrivers to any event.
            There was a Harley, an Indian, a Yamaha, two of those three wheeled Polaris machines and then there were several Gold Wings. Arriving at the meeting point, I filled the tank with gas and joined the group.
            The ride left Waco at about 10:00am. The weather was great with clear skies and starting temps in the mid-60s. All the roads we took were roads I was familiar with. After about an hour and a half we took a break at a gas station / quick shop on the west side of Gatesville, TX.
            Most of us checked our phones to see if there was any important messages, while others went to potty, and still others bought a soda. I stayed in the shade and talked to a couple of the riders. We had been there about 10 minutes when the leader of the ride signaled, “Kick stands up”. For those of you who do not ride, kick stands up means lets ride.
            The leader and others from the group formed a line out near the street as I sat there in the shade. There was a bike with no rider which meant he was still inside the quick shop. I, using the CB on my wing, called to another rider and told him I would wait on this person, as I knew the way to Lampasas, TX. The group, assuming that everyone was ready took off down the road.
            It was about 5 minutes before this person came out of the quick shop with a soda in his hand. I assume this fellow may have been on the pot as it would not take that long to get a soda.
            He looked around as if he was confused and I said they took off already. I said I know the route to Lampasas and we can ride together. This fellow, took about another 5 minutes getting ready to ride. I felt like riding off and leaving him there, surely he had no idea of what the word “hurry” means.
            Finally he was ready and we started our attempt to, if not catch up with the group at least find them in Lampasas. I set the cruise control on 70, and the Yamaha kept up. We had ridden about 10 miles when I began to hear Wayne on the CB. As we topped a big hill I was able to understand that he was riding slowly, in an effort to allow us to catch up. He had let the group go on ahead of him. 
            The next transmission from Wayne said, he was turning on highway 580, and I knew we were getting close to that turn. It was a few more minutes when we caught up to Wayne. Now there were three of us riding together.
            Unknown to us the group took a side road off of 580 which took them to Kempner, TX and not Lampasas as we thought. We rode to Lampasas and made a trip through town hoping to find the restaurant where they were heading. When we rode out of the other side of Lampasas, we stopped and the fellow on the Yamaha called the leader of the group. We learned they were in Kempner at a restaurant.
            We decided to head that way, it would be about a 15 minute ride. The restaurant was small and we would have ridden past it, if one of the riders had not been standing on the side of the road waving us in.
            Lunch was good and we had some lively conversations, very enjoyable.
            The ride continued after lunch for another couple hours. The roads we were on after lunch, were mostly new to me. A very enjoyable ride. I made it home a little before 4:00pm, in time for a short nap, shower and then my lovely wife and I went out to supper to celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary.
            The food was excellent, the service was very good and our wait staff person liked to kid with us, which to me, always makes a meal better. We received a free dessert due to our anniversary and I must say, it was also very nice.
            What better way to top off a day than a lovely quiet meal, with your first, and only wife!

May all anniversaries be as nice as this one was!

Don Ford

No comments: