Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Yard work again 05.07.15

 
                As the title proclaims, I have been forced in to laboring in the yard again. The worse part of this is, it was in the front yard so all could see me on my knees, laboring in the dirt.
                At one point a passerby stopped and commented, “I use to think you worked in the yard because you like it.  I now believe that your spouse of 46 years had placed you in timeout, but you didn’t obey and sit still in the corner, so she forced you into yard work.” It was alarming how this passerby could be so knowledgeable of my circumstances.
                The block retaining barrier that had been installed, did not stand up well, so it was decided that I could remove the old barrier and install a more substantial barrier. Professional quality photos will appear later in this document.   
                After careful review of our inventory of previously use blocks, it was determined that someone (me) would need to go to town and purchase 15 each of these blocks. There was also a suggestion that since someone (me) was going to town I could purchase 8 each 12 inch by 12 inch flat blocks to finish the new bench project.
                Heck, if someone (me) was going to town anyway, why not get the 9 each small blocks that will be needed for the grandkids treehouse. One block under each of the 9 post that will support the tree house.   
                All those blocks totaled 32, which is a lot of weight for a 10 year old pickup. I was hoping that it would carry this load. If I weren’t on a fixed income, I could get a new vehicle but that is out of the question for people who live entirely on social security.
                Being a senior citizen, and not wanting to strain my body any more than necessary, I loaded the blocks as close to the rear end of the pickup as possible. Yes that puts all the weight right on the tail end of the truck.
Before you ask, I first loaded each block on the cart, then after paying, I pushed the cart out to my vehicle. I then removed each block from the cart and placed them in the vehicle.
                After accurate placement of each block, I carefully climbed into the cab of the vehicle and started the motor. I noticed as I drove away from the home center, fifty dollars poorer, that the front of my truck seemed to be much lighter than usual, the steering was as if I had power steering.
                Now that I think about it, the reason it felt like power steering is, I do have power steering!
Arriving at home I immediately dismounted the vehicle and began to gather the tools that I would need for these projects. I was now ready to begin the strenuous work, when I noticed the time. I would need to postpone the start of these projects as it was time for lunch and outnumbered on Fox News, and those ladies with the short shirts are very intelligent. 
I kept the lunch break short, and only looked at the hosts of the fox news a few times.
Returning to my labors in the yard I got on my knees and after some prayers, I started removing the old retaining blocks. 
   
                As everyone should know, I am in superb physical condition which made the work surprisingly easy for this senior citizen.
 
In the above photo we see all those heavy blocks in place, the workmanship is unquestionably, “professional quality”. The double stacked row was from previously forced labor, the single row was from this week.
                Even though I was tired from my laborious efforts, I still needed to complete the new bench project by installing 6 additional blocks. This would mean that I would need to remove huge amounts of soil, while developing a level sub soil for the installation of the blocks.
                I believe the work performed on this project, could not have been done any better by a younger person.
    
                For your information, I had previously put the bench together and positioned 10 of the blocks. The 4 in the front and the two in the back were the last to be installed.
                Now to address a question from a past commentary. I had previously stated that I do mow the front yard twice each time I mow. I also use the walk behind mower on the front yard and the rider on the back yard. The question was, why I mow the front yard twice.
                The answer is simple, I want the front yard to look properly cared for, and I do not want it to appear as if a professional mowing company had done the work. Most professional mowers have one goal; cut the grass and get to the next job!
          I first cut the grass at an angle, either 45 or 90 degrees to the street. The second time I cut the grass parallel to the street leaving straight lines in the grass. If you are wondering, the second pass through does cut more grass and it helps shred the clippings from the first cut.  
                Work completed, I put my tools away and proceeded into the house for a shower and a nap, in that order.
 
If you are put in time out, I suggest that you be quite and listen.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: