Translate

Friday, May 22, 2015

Saga of The leaky Faucet 05.21.15

 
                “Leaky faucet”, is defined as, a method of removing funds from a retired senior citizen, while producing the emotion that they are doing the right thing.  Yes, there are other definitions, but for this soon to be well written and informative article, we will use the above definition.
 
Chapter 1
 
                The subject of this article is a device, found in most kitchen sinks known as the faucet. I had been aware for some time that the faucet was leaking. This leak was not a pressure leak but occurs at the base of the faucet. The water that was left in the faucet (from the end down to the valve) would slowly leak out and run into the sink.
                Not an emergency, I thought, water that drips into the sink is not hurting anything, and I can fix this at my leisure. Fortunately, my present spouse was in a cleaning and organizing mood and she discovered that some of the water was getting under the sink.
                Now I had my orders, “fix the faucet or else”.  I did not want to know what or else was, so I went to the local hardware store (not affiliated with my past employer) to get some repair parts. Returning home I proceeded to turn off the water and attempt to dismantle the faucet. 
                Usually, a faucet repair is not difficult. After turning the water off you remove the handle, remove the top of the faucet, remove a couple rubber gaskets, and springs. Look everything over and then place the new parts in, and reassemble the faucet.  If all went well there will be no leaks when the water is turned back on. 
                The first of many challenges began with the removal of the faucet handle. There is a screw that requires an Allen wrench. I can only assume the screw was originally installed by a machine and cross threaded at installation. To say it was difficult to turn the set screw would be a gross understatement. After many attempts I was able to loosen the screw enough to remove the handle. I was not able to get the screw completely out of the handle.
                Using a large adjustable wrench I removed the top nut exposing the inner workings of the faucet. There was a couple rubber caps, each covering a spring, this is where the water comes into the faucet.
                The second challenge was now apparent, I had purchased the wrong repair kit. No, it wasn’t my fault, the fellow at the non-Do it Best store said it was what I needed. Take a little advice from me, “when repairing a faucet, determine the brand, then take the faucet apart so you are sure of what you need when you go to the Hardware store”.
                I had to return to the unnamed store to return the incorrect part and get the correct parts. I must say the young lady at the checkout counter is very pretty,           and helpful.
                Finding the correct repair parts, I returned to The Ford Homestead.
                With a little effort and a lot of knowledge, I installed the repair parts and replaced the large nut on top of the faucet. Not bad I thought as I reviewed my work. All I need to do now is to replace the handle, oh the handle.
                I attempted to take the Allen screw completely out wanting to see if it was cross threaded or why it was so difficult to turn. In my attempt to loosen the Allen screw the head was stripped.
                Now what to do, I guess I will need to get a new handle for the faucet. I put the handle on the faucet even though it was extremely loose and turned the water on. Not surprising, there was no leak, I had fixed the faucet, or had I!
                I activated the handle to turn the water on and, “water came forth from the faucet”, not unlike Biblical accounts of water flowing forth from a rock.
                I turned the faucet off and the leak came forth from the base of the faucet. I had evidently repaired the wrong part of the faucet.
 
 
Chapter 2

                I decided to purchase a new faucet for the kitchen sink and replace it myself the next day. After all, wasn’t it me who put the present faucet in several years ago?  I had also replaced the entire sink at the same time.
                Being a computer savage savvy person, I decided to go on line and see where I could get a good deal on a faucet. This on line search provided me with an additional challenge. I noticed that faucets needed either 3, or 4 holes, in the sink, for installation.
It was stuck in my head that my faucet needed 2 holes, one for the spray and one for the water lines. What was the reason for all the holes? I searched through multiple web site’s trying to find a faucet that needed 2 holes. Finally I found one and it was out of stock. I was stressing over the holes needed to install a faucet.
I took a break and drank a cup of instant coffee. People on a fixed income can’t afford to make an entire pot of coffee and let some go to waste, so they use instant.  
After my coffee I decided to get under the sink and look at the faucet from the underside. There was a hole for the water lines and a hole for the spray nozzle. The only other thing I noticed was the two bolts the held the faucet in place. Could that be the reason for 4 holes?
My almost, all knowing brain, began cyphering the situation and I decided that I would get a faucet that required 4 holes in the sink for installation. The stress was now leaving my body, I had solved the mystery of why 3 or 4 holes are needed for faucet installation.
If you need to know why some faucets need 3 and some need 4 holes, send me a note and I will explain.
Had I have known what laid ahead, I would have called for a plumber to come and put the new faucet in.
Stress free and believing all the challenges behind me, I jumped into my pickup and drove to the nearest big box Home Center. Arriving at the home center I observed this elderly couple looking at riding mowers. Elderly is defined as people older than me.
Being the helpful person I am (sometimes thought of as sticking my nose in where it doesn’t belong) I approached said couple and suggested that if he was considering a riding mower he should consider getting one that allows the mower blades to continue to run when the mower is in reverse. He thanked me and noted that his present rider would not mow in reverse and it is a pain.
Having provided information to an elderly person (his wife walked away when we were discussing mowers) I proceed on with my task of finding a faucet. At this home center most of the employees are knowledgeable, so I allowed one to help me.
Faucet in hand I headed for the check out.  Why do stores have self-checkout lanes, don’t they know I don’t use them? There was one lane that had a person doing the checking out and there were two lanes of self-checkout which no one was using.
Standing in line that had an employee who was checking customers out, I was behind a lady who was behind a couple with several items. An employee signaled me to come to the self-checkout lane. Being a gentlemen, I offered the opportunity to the lady in front of me and she declined my offer. I proceed to the self-checkout lane and the store employee did the check out of my new faucet.
As I was walking away from the checkout I commented to the lady who had been in front of me, “I beat you”. She looked at me and smiled, as if thinking, “Silly old man”.
Driving home I began to think about the work that was ahead of me.
 
 
Chapter 3
 
                Back at The Ford Homestead I began to gather the tools and supplies I would need. It was 9:30 am when I started this project. This project would consist of working in cramped conditions under the sink, removing an old water filter that I had installed many years ago, it had been under the sink out of sight out of mind all that time. Disconnecting the water supply lines and unbolting the faucet.
In the standing position I would remove the faucet, clean the area, install the new spray nozzle and hose (I actually read the instructions before I started and the spray nozzle was to be installed first) install the new faucet.
Then get back under the sink and bolt the faucet in place, install the new water supply lines, double check everything and turn the water on looking for leaks.
It is bad enough for a large person to get under a sink and work but when the large person is a retired senior citizen, it is many times worse.
The water filter was difficult to remove due to the mounting screws I had used but that was nothing compared to what was to come. Yes the filter was full of water and I did spill some.
I removed the two water supply lines and was very happy that I had two in the shed that I was going to use (save a few dollars and that means, less aluminum cans my present spouse would need to pick up from the highway).
I started to unbolt the faucet, this was the big challenge of the day, when I noticed one bolt was rusted and the other was not. I sprayed some WD40 on the bolts hoping that would help in the removal. The rusty bolt broke off on my first attempt which was ok with me. The non-rusty bolt would not turn. I was using a ratchet several extensions and a deep socket to no avail. It was not moving.
I decided to stop and have a sandwich for lunch. How do you wash your filthy hands, when the water is turned off to the house?             
What?   Why was the water turned off to the house? It was because the shut off valves under the sink had not been activated in years and were frozen in the open position.
I use bottle water to wash my hands.  I them made a sandwich and poured a glass of milk. I took about 10 minutes to eat and rest. Before someone asks, no I did not get a nap after lunch, I immediately returned to work.
I again tried to loosen the second bolt holding the faucet onto the sink. The nut finally turned or so I thought. It wasn’t the nut turning but the entire bolt was turning. I worked with this for some time. There are too many details to tell so I will jump ahead a little.
Being unsuccessful at getting the bolt loose, I took another approach, I got out from under the sink and tried to pry the faucet from the bolt but I could not. I was able at last to pry the faucet up above the sink enough to see the bolt. I then got a hack saw blade and started cutting the bolt. When the bolt was cut about half way through I again got under the sink and using a pair of vice grips I was able to break the bolt. Free at last, I removed the faucet.
All I need to do now was clean the sink and begin the install.
 
 
Chapter 4
 
                Have you tried to clean an area of the sink without water?  Did you know, Windex will work in a pinch?
Sink cleaned, spray nozzle installed, supply line from the new faucet connected to the spray nozzle hose, I was ready to quickly complete this install, I thought! 
                Faucet in place and the two supply lines from the shed in hand, I again crawled under this sink. As you may have guessed, the water supply lines would connect to the faucet but not to the water inlet line. That means I needed to go to the hardware store, again, and get two new supply lines (more money more time).
                Returning from the unnamed hardware store, tire and dirty I again got under the sink. I installed the supply lines and reviewed the work to be sure I had tightened everything.
                I was able to drag my tired body out to the water meter and turn it back on. As I began the seemingly long journey back to the house I was wondering, would there be any leaks. As I opened the door I could not hear any water spraying, which made me happy. I got under the sink and checked all the connections, no leaks. Out from under the sink, I activated the handle to the new faucet and it worked.
                I began putting the tools away and cleaning the area. When the job was completed it was 2:00pm, four and a half hours to replace a faucet.
 
                Did I say, I found a leak in the P trap, yep I will attack that project tomorrow?
 
Too much fun for a dollar.
 
Don Ford
 
 
 

No comments: