Translate

Monday, May 25, 2015

4 Leaf Clover or... 05.25.15

 
                I have heard it said that finding a 4 leaf clover is good luck. I can only assume that comment is due to the rarity of a 4 leaf clover.
                If you want to look at it from another point of view, a home owner, who has put a lot of time and effort into his yard, doesn’t want to find clover growing among his ST. Augustine. Clover in a well-cared for yard, is nothing but bad luck.
                Before Mr. Smarty Pants asks, no I do not have any clover in my yard. I do however, have plenty of other weeds.
                With that well written, lead-in behind us, let’s get to my story!
                Let me think for a moment. Ok, I remember now, this fascinating short story is about me and my pecan tree! What more could you ask for?
                It was one of those lazy Fridays at this retired senior citizens, home. I had taken my morning walk, and worked on some notes at the computer. I had even studied a Spanish lesson (not a lot of progress). Lunch had been served and eaten. I was able to watch some of the Fox News “Outnumbered”, yes the one with the ladies that wear the short skirts. I had even taken my after lunch nap.
                Awake and somewhat alert, I was pondering what I could do that would not be too strenuous yet somewhat interesting. Outnumbered was off so that was out of the question.
                I decided to get a glass of water, take my tablet and go sit on the front porch. In doing so, if it rained, I would not need to move. I also decided to crack and pick some pecans.
                Everything in place I selected an app from the tablet, and listened to some old-time rock and roll from satellite radio. It is amazing how quickly time can pass, when you are listening to oldies.
                What is your question! Ok, I am getting to what this has to do with 4 leaf clover. If you had some patience, you might be a happier person. 
                As I was cracking the pecans, I found one that instead of having two equal halves in the shell, there were three equal thirds. I thought about what the chance of that happening was. It must mean good luck, kinda like a 4 leaf clover.
Having never seen or heard about three pecan parts being in a shell, I decided to give it a name. A pecan that has three eatable parts is named, “Tri-con”. I wished I had not already broken them apart. A photo would have been proof.
                Continuing on with my labors and listening to the oldies, I was astounded with a second Tri-con, which had three eatable parts. This one was not equal parts, there were two larger parts and one smaller, but there was three in one shell. Both of those Tri-cons came from our little tree.
You don’t have to believe me, but it happened just that way.
I have more pecans to crack and I will attempt to be gentler when cracking them, in hopes of finding another, “Tri-con”.
                What does finding a Tri-con mean? It is obviously good luck for, “The Ford Homestead”, times three!
                Why did I name it “Tri-con”? I should just say, “Because I wanted to”, but I will try to be more politically correct and answer your question.
In my world, pecan is pronounced as pe-con, so I decided to spell it the way I was going to say it, “Tri-con”. 
                Also, Alex and I use the word, “con”, when referring to a pecan.
 
Tri-con, truth can be stranger than fiction!
Don Ford
 

No comments: