Translate

Monday, May 11, 2015

Devine intervention 05.11.15

 
                Whether you believe or not doesn’t make any difference to me, I believe.
                It began when I dismantled and then installed a new barrier around the jasmine bed in the front yard. This was presented in an excellent posting titled, “Yard work again”, dated 05.07.15.
                I had previously decided to get three landscape timbers, and use them as a border around the blackberries. The three timbers would have provided me with a 4 X 8 foot area around the blackberries. I wanted to expand the area as the blackberries have a tendency to have new shoots pop up around the main plant. In our situation the new shoots were outside the old barrier, in an area where I mowed.               
The blocks that were removed from the front yard were loaded into my trusty wagon, and laboriously moved to the back yard where they remained for a couple days.
I eventually decided that I should unload the wagon and store the blocks. As I began the process, I looked at the blackberries and wondered if I should use the blocks rather than purchasing the landscape timbers. Everyone knows that landscape timbers would be easier to install, but they have a tendency to warp (aka bow) which may make them unsightly.
I them took the blocks to the blackberries and lay them on the ground in what would be an approximate location for the stones. It didn’t look too bad, so I then removed the blocks that were already in place and finished the outline. I wanted my present wife’s opinion before I started the work.
The next day I asked if she had reviewed the suggested border for the blackberries. She hadn’t but said she would. Later in the day, I received an ok to proceed with the project.
We received a half inch of rain over night which obviously made the ground somewhat wet.
The day was a cloudy and humid day. I like the idea of the clouds which would keep the sun off so I decided to start the project. I gathered the needed tools. Most of the work would be done from a kneeling position, which meant I needed hand tools. I have a new garden claw which I used to loosen the ground, and it also pulled up the grass.
I was able to dig the needed trench to place 3 of the blocks before it began to rain. Thinking the rain would just be a light shower I got under the grandkids tree house, which has a 5 X 7 tarp over the top. After a few minutes of rain I decided to run to the shed and wait the rain out. It rained for another few minutes and then ended as quickly as it started.
The rain ended the work for the day. We received a quarter inch of rain in that short downpour.
The next morning was cloudy and very humid but it wasn’t raining, yet.
I ventured fourth determined to get more of the barrier installed in the very wet ground. It wasn’t muddy, not a liquid mud, but the wet earth did stick to the tools.
As I worked on that Friday morning, I was again thankful for the clouds and the nice breeze which help keep me cool. The clouds and cool breeze were provided just for me, from the man up above!
The work was difficult as I crawled around on the ground digging with the hand tools and trying to remove all the grass from the new area. If you have ever tried to remove ST. Augustine grass you know how difficult it is, and you never get it all. I wished I could use grass killer but then I would likely kill the Berries. 
Over a three hour period I had placed all the blocks but two (there were a total of 12 blocks). It was at that time I was getting tired and it had sprinkled a little. I thought about stopping and cleaning up for my well-deserved lunch, but I decided to continue. The last two blocks seemed to be the most difficult but I was able to install them.
Finished, I got up from the ground and tried to straighten up. I then walked around surveying my work. Not Bad I thought, I need to put the tools away, dump the wagon load of grass. I also want to get a photo of the completed project.
As I finished dumping the grass in the trash container, it began to sprinkle. I went into the house and that is when the rain began in earnest. It was another downpour. That is another part of the divine intervention, the rain was kept away until I had finished and was inside.
Nothing else to do, I disrobed and headed for the shower. I scrubbed the dirt and sweat off my aging, but still beautiful body, the warm water felt so good!
As I began to dry off, my mind began to process what I might have for lunch. After working that hard I would need a very nutritious meal.
Meal completed (leftovers from last night’s meal), I wondered out to see how much rain was in the rain gage. It again had almost a quarter inch of rain.
My body indicated that I needed to have a nap, so I headed to my recliner where I zzzzzz for a while.
The following photos were taken the next day. One shows the new barrier (I added a bag of mulch after this photo was taken) and the other photo shows the hand of the Maestro (me) pointing at the first Blackberry that is starting to ripen.
 
Yes there is a small injury at the base of my thumb, thanks for noticing.
 
It is nice to have divine protection and guidance!
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: