Translate

Monday, March 30, 2015

Anniversary time 03.31.15

 
                It happens about this time every year. What happens every year about this time, well it is an anniversary.
                Why do we commemorate, or even celebrate anniversaries? Yes, it is a way to remember some event that occurred, like a child’s birthday.
Let’s consider the child’s birthday for a moment. The child was born on a certain day, and that day is an annual event, so why isn’t the child’s birthday considered an anniversary? I guess it would be more difficult to sing, “Happy Anniversary day to you, Happy Anniversary day to you, Happy Anniversary day dear Billy Bob…
Ok, I see that one person, who wants to interject a thought. Allow me to address, “the thought”, before you have a chance to interrupt my teaching moment, (I should take this person off the mailing list, maybe the interruptions would cease).
I stated earlier that, “The child was born on a certain day, and that day is an annual event”. My statement is correct, unless the child was born on February 29th (aka Leap year). If the child was born on February 29th then his / her birthday only comes every 4 years.
In a recent study funded by, “The Ford Homestead Foundation” it was learned that children born on February 29th get one fourth as many gifts as do kids born on any other day. I should not need to explain why they get one fourth as many gifts, isn’t it obvious, their birthdays occur every four years!  Less birthday’s mean, less birthday parties and less gifts.
Also it was learned in that same study, the liberal United States Government, now considers anyone who was born on February 29th, as “birthday disadvantaged“ and they now may receive Obuma Fones (The “U” Fone 9), with 3 years of unlimited text and data, as birthday gifts. (Before you ask, they are government employees, they aren’t required to know how to spell, “phones”, I am not required to spell anyone’s name correctly, and the “U” fone is a knock off)
Let me get back to the subject at hand, the anniversary. March 31st, is the anniversary of my retirement. It has been 4 years since my retirement. Nope, I do not celebrate this anniversary, although I do remember it.
What? You thought I was talking about another anniversary! Yes there is another anniversary that will occur on April 5th, and that is our wedding anniversary.
Now that you have moved my thought pattern to wedding anniversaries, why are they not referred to as “Wedding-day, similar to Birthday”?
What?
Yes we will have been married “46 years” on April 5th.
Yes, we do celebrate that day!
Yes, you may donate to the celebration by sending money!
 
I hope to have a retiring day!
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: