Translate

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chest #003 02.17.15

                I was asked to consider making a chest similar to #001 which was given to the granddaughter. I have agreed to attempt to make a chest #003. 

                Attempting to reduce the details of this build, let’s say, “I learned several things that I will, and will not do, in future builds”.

In the first photo we see the wood needed to build the wooden chest. Yes there is a short board leaning against the chair that was cut prior to the photo being taken. No it did not hurt the truck to lean the boards against it.

In photo two I have rough cut (not to exact size) the lumber into the correct number of boards for each part of the unit (AKA chest). Several of these boards will need 45 degree cuts, which will be done later.

In the third (3rd) photo we see, “The Master Wood Butcher”, Rev. Ford, standing at his saw, on a 70 degree winter day.       Yes this Texas winter weather is difficult for senior citizens!

Next step is to temporarily assemble the unit using clamps, this process allows me to be sure it will all go together. 

When I verified that it would fit together, I proceeded to final sanding, assembly, staining and varnishing.

                Below in photo four, we see the final product.

In photo five, we see the unit with the top open. I did manufacture a tray for this Chest and found that the allowances I made for the spring loaded lid assists, were incorrect. The tray would not fit. 

 

 

Master Wood Butcher, Don Ford

 

Yes, each unit is signed by the artist, AKA Master Wood Butcher”, numbered and dated.

 

For detailed information about building one of these units, along with what not to do, contact me at, “The Ford Homestead”.

 

 

No comments: