Translate

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Howdy 02.10.15

 
                I would like to wish you a positive and bright good day.
All is well here at, “The Ford Homestead”, I have been working my fingers to the bone. Ok that is not a true statement, although my fingers do have bones in them, the bones are not yet exposed.
                There are many projects at, “The Ford Homestead” which need to be done, but mostly I have put most of my attention toward a wood working project.
                As you may know, we had a small garden last year. It was a fun garden, giving us something to do and allowing the grand kids to help plant it and occasionally they would help harvest the crops. 
                The small size of the garden did not allow for much weeding. Thus, I have decided to enlarge the garden. This year I plan to double the size of tilled ground but plant the same number of plants. This should allow enough room to properly care for the plants.
                I have marked off the area that I want to use for the garden and have sprayed grass killer on the grass in an effort to kill all the grass and the roots prior to tilling. That should make it much easier to till the area.
                If I can teach Alex what a weed is, he will keep the garden weed free. This boy is a workaholic.
                Speaking of yard work, I still need to pick up acorns from the flower beds and yard. That is a daunting task that I am not looking forward too.  Then I need to trim several limbs from the trees. I want to remove all the limbs that are over the roof of our house and the neighbors drive way.
                It seems as if there is too much work for an elderly citizen. As you may know, being on a fixed income, I am unable to pay to have this work done. If you want to donate, please identify all donations for; “The General Labor Fund at The Ford Homestead”. These non-tax deductible donations are greatly appreciated.   
                Different subject:
                This morning I proceeded out of the house and walked to the end of the drive way. There I was greeted by a sky that was just starting to lighten somewhat. It was about an hour prior to sunrise and every bird seemed to be singing.
Although I have listened to the birds many times just prior to sunrise, today bird chirping seemed to be unusually clear and loud. As I pondered the reasoning for the enormous number of birds participating in the morning sing along, it came to me. They think that it is springtime due to the extra warm days we have been having.
Heck, I have been thinking spring is here with these 70 and 80 degree days, why wouldn’t the birds think the same thing.
Our gato (cat) Charlie thinks it is spring time. Yesterday evening just about dark he was close to the back door which had been opened to allow some fresh air into the house, when I noticed he was playing with something. I tried to get him to come in but he would not. I assumed he had a cricket or other bug that he was playing with.  I later learned he had caught another grass snake. I think that is five snakes he has caught in the short time he has lived here.
Night before last I heard a hoot owl off in the distance. It was 2:00 am and I was in my warm and cozy bed. The owl may have been not only looking for food, he / she may have been calling for a mate.  The owl would let out with three hoots, wait a second then again three hoots. I don’t know how long the hooting went on, I went back to dream world (that is, I went to sleep, for anyone that did not know what dream world was).
 
                I need to get outside and get started on my wood working project, I would like to get most of it completed while the weather is warm, so please excuse me, as I get up from in front of this computer, and go to work. 
 
I hope your day is filled with exciting new fun experiences.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: