Translate

Monday, February 23, 2015

Younguns... 02.23.15

                For those of you not from the south eastern part of Missouri, that word “younguns” has the same meaning as, “young ones” referring to young people.
                Now that I have finished my teaching duties, I will expand on the subject.
                This morning, as I was preparing to face the day, I noticed it was raining in Hewitt, Texas. The temp was 30 degrees with a prediction of lower temperatures as the day progressed. In other words 30 was the high for the day. The rain is also predicted to continue through the day. Now that you have the weather picture clearly implanted in your mind, I will attempt to proceed with the story.
                I should like to note, I did mow the yard this weekend, as the winter grass and weeds were getting to high to ignore. Yes, I did bring the riding mower out of winter storage to facilitate the mowing opportunities. (Facilitate, to simplify, I saved you having to look it up to see if I used the word properly, didn’t I. I know you, I read you like a cheap blog article. Speaking of cheap blog articles, let’s get back to mine.)
                This morning, as I was dutifully taking the trash out to the curb, I observed the neighbor lady walking from her driveway down the street to their SUV, which they park unnecessarily close to our driveway. She was bundled up as if it were below zero outside. She opened the door and started the SUV. I, wrongly assumed that she was going to drive the older SUV today rather than driving her new red pickup, due to the possible icing which may occur later.
                After starting the vehicle she closed the door and walked back to her new red pickup which she got into and drove off. I now understand what she was doing. Her son, who is in his second year of college drives the older SUV, and she wanted to warm it up for him. All the vehicles including mine which are parked outside were covered with ice.
                As Gabi and I were leaving the house, about 10 minutes after the neighbor had started the SUV for her son, I observed this second year college student pouring water on the ice on the side windows in an attempt to remove the ice.
                Warm water will usually remove thin sheets of ice but the water has a tendency to re-freeze in all the cracks around the windows and doors.
                I am thinking the student may have more trouble opening the windows or doors after the water re-freezes into ice.
                I guess, most people in Texas don’t have ice scrapers, I do!
 
 
Weather or not, have a good day!   
 
            It was a play on words, even though I am not good at spelling, I do know how to spell whether.
 
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: