Translate

Monday, January 26, 2015

Coat rack 01.26.15

                I think it all started when I was looking at the number of coats and hats that are in my so called office. Well, it use to be my office and now it is my place to go when I need to access the computer or when my present wife is punishing me.
                I have 6 hats or caps hanging on the wall and they are for the most part up and out of the way. There are coats and shirts hanging on both sides of the door that goes from this room into the garage. I have attached coat and hat hooks on the door as a way to temporarily hang an item.
                The problem is that, “temporarily” has become semi-permanent. 
                Solution, make a coat rack and get the coats and shirts off the door.
                I am not trying to make something that is furniture quality, instead, I am wanting a practical unit that works. When I have finished with this first unit, I can then use the plan to create a finished furniture quality piece, if I can get the funding for another unit. 
                This test unit is made from two 2X4s glued together. The pieces that were cut off prior to gluing, will be used for the feet that keep the rack from falling over.
                In the photo below you can see the unit. I did not want to use the words, “finished unit” as it is not finished with proper sanding, stain and varnish. It is just a rough coat rack.
You may have noticed that there are coat hooks up high and down low, adults should use the top and children should use the lower hooks.
I feel I should give credit to my neighbor for his suggestion. I had put the coat rack together and sat it up on the floor. As I should have expected it was not level. I, being somewhat lazy, (I know it is difficult for you to think that I, “The Don” could be lazy), but I was. I took some wood shims and placed them under the coat racks feet making it level, then I glued them in place. It made the rough looking unit look even rougher. 
Glen suggested that I go to the hardware store and get some of the levelers that screw into the feet. They would look better and adjust easily. I noted that I was too lazy and did not want to drive to the hardware store, the wood shims will do.
The next day when I was going into town I went to the hardware store and got the screw in levelers. They cost me almost $4.00 which is a lot of money for those of us on a fixed income, but they do work, and look better.
I guess it could be painted or stained which would give it a better look, although it would not make it more functional.
---------------------------------------------------------
 
I decided to stain the unit this afternoon, after doing some other wood work on a different project. It is still not furniture quality, but I think it looks a little better with the stain.
It was 70 degrees today and I was working in the garage in a short sleeved shirt. I feel for those people in the north east that are preparing for a major winter snow storm.
For sale, one stained coat rack, make an offer.
 
                Now if I can find a place to sit this rack, maybe the grandkids and I will begin to hang our coats and sweaters on it.
 
May all your projects be excellent!
 
Don Ford 

No comments: