Translate

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Last day of 2014, Wow 12.31.2014

                                          
                December the 31st, 2014 started off as a lazy do nothing day. My first wife was out and about so I was left at home to fend for myself. Do you know how stressful it is to try to find your own lunch? I took time to go through another lesson from my Spanish course, which I am finding to be difficult. I think it would have been nice if there were instructions as to how to work with the program.  
Changing the topic, I have wanted an air hose reel to put into the garage that would retract the hose automatically. It is difficult to get the air compressor out when I need to use it so the retractable hose would be helpful.
I headed for the Harbor Freight to purchase a retractable hose reel. Once there, I looked the product over and decided I did not have a good way to mount the device. I returned home disappointed and beaten down. In this total state of discouragement, I knew there was only one thing that would help me to revitalize myself, and that was, “a nap in the recliner”.
Refreshed and ready to take on the world, I jump from my chair and sprinted to the garage (well that is the way I remember it). I began to move things around in an effort to access the work bench. I wanted to see what possible mounting areas that were available. After sweeping all the leaves from the floor I determined that I could mount the hose reel on the bottom shelf beside the compressor. If I had seen that earlier I could have saved a trip to town.
I now needed to go back to town to purchase the reel, but do I want to go or just wait until another day. If I wait, I will need to put everything back in its place, then when I do go to town I would again need to move everything around. The decision was made, I would go to town and get the reel (I had a 20% off coupon)
I was on my way to town when the cell phone rang. Being a careful driver I pulled in to the Walmart parking lot to take the call. It was David and he wanted to know if I would go to town with him to purchase some wood. He has a project in mind and needed a way to haul the wood.
                I told him I would meet him at my house, and I turned around and headed for home. We decided to take the trailer to haul the wood. We did not know that this was going to present a challenge. The trailer had an almost flat tire, not a problem, I have an air compressor (I want the retractable hose reel for the compressor) I think it is ironic that I was going to town to purchase a hose reel for the air compressor and now I need to use it before I can go to town.
                Trailer tire aired up, Dave and I headed for the Home Depot. I thought, after getting the wood we could continue into town and I could get the hose reel (kill two projects with one trip). I guess we were in side shopping about 30 minutes. Dave found all the items on his list and we checked out. I told him I would get the pickup and trailer and bring it up to the loading area.
                I must say I was surprised when I arrived at the trailer, the tire was flat. We unhooked the trailer from the pickup, loaded the wood on the trailer and I headed for home to get the air tank to bring back so we could air the tire. I should explain that the outside air temperature was 39 degrees. Dave stayed with the trailer while I went home (it wasn’t snowing or sleeting).
                I arrived at home and retrieved the air tank from the shed. After filling it with air I loaded it and the hose into the truck. I decided, for a backup I would also put the compressor in the truck. While this was going on my spouse of 45 years called me on the cell phone asking, “Where are you?” I explained that I was in the garage and if she wanted to talk to come out in the garage, which she did.
                I briefly explained what was going on and then I was on my way back to the parking lot of Home Depot.
                Dave sat out there with the trailer in the 39 degree cold air for about 30 minutes.
                We aired the tire and now we could hear the air coming out, that can’t be good. Quickly we attached the trailer to the pickup and headed for Dave’s house. We attempted to stay on the side streets as much as possible.
                By now it is getting dark and the head lights were needed for driving. The trailer had one tail light working and one break light. I was hoping that the police would not see us.
                We stopped on the way home to re-air the tire. At this time I noticed that both tail lights were now working, that makes it a little safer.
                Safely arriving at Dave’s house we unloaded the wood. Alex came out to supervise the work so he decided he would ride with us to my house so Dave could get his vehicle.
                We were about half way to, “The Ford Homestead”, when Dave’s phone rang. His wife was calling to determine whether Alex was with us or not.
                Arriving at “The Ford Homestead” we backed the trailer into the back yard and unhooked it, I told Dave there is an old saying that applies to this, “if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, then things are not too bad”.
Dave and Alex headed for home.
                One good thing that came from all this, instead of using the 20% coupon, there was a 25% off coupon on the computer which would save me a few dollars when I went shopping the next day. I also had a gift card that I received at Christmas. Being on a fixed income every little bit helps.
 
Happy New Year!
 
Don Ford

No comments: