Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Wood Butcher Extraordinary 10.19.14

 
                This story begins early Saturday morning. My present spouse and I attended Gabi’s Soccer game at 9:00 and then went to an event in Clifton, Texas. I call it an event as I am not sure what the event was. They had streets blocked off and we had to park a couple blocks away and walk. There were several interesting old cars on display and there were venders selling stuff. (Stuff sounds better than junk, crap or other descriptive words I may have used in the past). My spouse of 45 years looked but did not purchase anything. We did have lunch with friends at the Bunk House.
When we returned home it was nap time and I do enjoy a nice nap on a Saturday afternoon.
When I woke from the nap, I guess you could say I was filling spunky, I decided to cut a limb from this tree. I have been wanting to remove the last two main limbs from this tree for some time now, but I have been reluctant to attempt the process as I was uncertain where this limb would fall.
I decided to cut a smaller limb (6 inches in diameter) from the top of this larger limb. Removal of the smaller limb would take weight off the main limb and then I felt I could drop it exactly where I want. Ladders were brought out along with the hand pole saw. I assumed the gas power saw would not reach as high as the manual pole saw. After some manual sawing (hard work) it seemed more obvious that I should try the gas powered saw.
The gas saw worked and I made the necessary cuts. This limb was now being held up by imagination. I could not attempt additional sawing on the limb, as it could fall and if I were in the cutting position (below the limb) and on the ladder, I would not be able to get away. 
Ingenuity took over, I got a rope with a heavy weight tied on the end. I skillfully tossed the rope over the cut limb (the cut limb was at least 20 foot long) and attempted to pull the limb down. After several attempts the limb broke loose and fell about 6 inches, coming to rest on another limb. This was not good, I want that weight off the main limb which would allow me to better control the main limbs fall when I cut it.
Could I cut the main limb and have it fall, not hitting the house or other objects? I could not stop the cutting process and leave this limb hanging on the other limb, as a large wind could cause it to fall unexpectedly and hurt someone.
It was time for a break. I got a glass of water and sat down on the kid’s fort, no I am not too big to sit on the fort. As I sat there pondering how to approach this cut and could I do it safely, I noticed something on the ground. It was a penny. How many times have I mowed over this penny and probably stepped on it without noticing it laying there. I picked it up and I had to put some water on it and rub it on my jeans to see if it was heads or tails. It was heads!  Any time Donna or I find a penny heads up, it has been good luck for us. Superstitious, no, it just works for us.
After a short break, I had a plan and was ready to drop this large limb. Skillful cutting on this, “Master Wood Butchers” part, I was able to bring the main limb down and have it fall where I wanted. 
Sunday afternoon I will need to cut the limbs into small enough pieces, so I can put them on my trailer. I will then consider cutting the last main limb on this tree.
     
 
For the observant eye, one will notice that I, “The Wood Butcher” have a gas powered pole saw in my capable hands, and I am in the process of, “Falling a part of a tree”. Do you like the word falling, it makes me sound like a Lumber Jack.
Photo #1, shows my skill at cutting this enormous limb from the tree.
Photo #2, has me watching the enormous limb as it falls and not yet hitting the ground.
Photo #3, the limb has come to rest on the ground.
You may have noticed the photos are not as good as I usually provide, they are from one of several security cameras at, “The Ford Homestead”.
 
I hope your weekend was restful and enjoyable.
Don Ford

No comments: