Translate

Friday, October 24, 2014

Pre-Dawn hour 10.24.14

 
It was early Friday in the pre-dawn hours as I was resting on my, “Red Rider Rocker”, (no I don’t know who manufactured the rocker, I just like to call it my Red Ryder Rocker, and I have even considered painting it red.) As usual I was pondering my opportunities for the daily activities. Should I have another cup of coffee, will I eat leftovers for lunch, should I watch the price is right, my daily nap and other world problems. 
As all those activities were swirling through my mind, I observed a vehicle coming down the dark street in a slow manner. Being a positive person, my first thought was, “this could be a gangbanger” wanting to prove herself in a drive by shooting, using me as the target. As this vehicle pulled up and stop at the end of my driveway, I was unable to see who is inside the vehicle. I was thinking, should I get up and run, or just sit still when all of a sudden a female voice cries out, “are you open”?
Well I am open to l lot of things, but not open to what this female person had in mind. You guessed it, she was looking for a garage sale. Believing that I am not about to be a victim of a drive by shooting, I responded, “no mam, I am not having a garage sale, I’m just sitting here.”
 
Catty-corner from our house, (that is the first time I have written the word/s catty-corner, although I have said it many times in my life) the neighbors dogs began to bark, which usually is an indication that someone or something is walking down the street along their wooden fence. My attention was drawn to the area, as I attempted to see any movement. There, in the darkness, was a figure, walking slowly in the darkness toward the lighted area at the corner street light. 
                This figure did not appear to be the large lady who normally walks in these early hours. I concentrated on the figure as it moved over about a 30 foot area. Suddenly, I realized there was no one there. I quickly got out of my chair and moved away from the light over the garage door to see if I could see better in the dark. The ghost like figure had disappeared completely, but there was a yellow cat coming down the street.
                Did I imagine seeing something? Was it a ghost? Did this apparition change form and take the shape of a cat?                 You decide.
 
                As almost everyone knows, I am a very observant person who enjoys commenting on things that truly do not involve me. This morning, after the above events had unfolded, I once again was considering the coming day’s activities. I noticed a tree limb, which is about 8 foot long and covered with dead leaves, which had been laying in the neighbor’s yard near the curb for a couple weeks now, had been moved. It was now in the middle of their yard, approximately 12 feet from where it had been. That movement is a positive, and it shows progress. By my calculations, at that rate of movement, the limb may be totally out of the front yard in four weeks. Did I state that they mowed around the limb about ten days ago?
                   No, I am not being judgmental, merely observant.
 
Hoping all your mornings are nice.
 
Don Ford

No comments: