Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Never Satisfied... 02.17.14

 
                “Never Satisfied”, is a very true statement. We have had one of those crummy cold winters where a record number of days below freezing has been set; I believe it was 53 days.
                Throughout all the cold weather I griped about the cold and said I wish it would turn warm. I wanted some of those sunny days where I could sit outside and do nothing while enjoying a cold beverage.
                Well, my wish has come true. The outside temp has been in the low to mid 70s with plenty of sun shine for several days and should continue through the week.
My neighbor of 31 years and I were discussing our daily chores, “man chores that are required of all retired men if they want to continue to have meals served at their Homestead”. Things like sweeping and washing dishes.
This may be hard to believe but I have even learned how to use the washing machine. I am still having some difficulties with the dryer but I will master it before long. 
                I have done a small amount of rearranging in the garage and have brought my air compressor from the shed to the garage. I decided I should change the oil in the Goldwing so I went to the auto parts store for oil. Have you priced a quart of oil lately? I remember oil being about $1.00 a quart and now it is $6.00 if you don’t purchase the synthetic oil. I was standing in front of the oil when an employee asked if he could help. I stated my reason for being there and he suggested a single container with 5 quarts of oil inside. I explained that I wanted individual quarts.
                I learned from this young man that purchasing the oil with an oil filter would save me money, (you thought I was too old to learn new tricks, the saying isyou can’t teach old dogs new tricks”, you weren’t calling me an old dog were you?).
                To make a short story longer, the 5 quarts of oil alone would have cost $30.00 but purchasing them with an oil filter (oil change special) the oil and filter cost less than $24.00. They don’t have oil filters for the Goldwing so I took one to fit my truck.
                During the oil change, Molly my supervisor had her nose into everything. She was literally under the belly if the Goldwing watching me remove the drain plug. I was able to change the oil and filter even with the close supervision.
 
                Please excuse the rambling, I will attempt to get back on subject.
                The warm weather has been a blessing but not without some shall we say, Minor complaints. Saturday afternoon I took my usual seat near the garage door hoping to sit there and watch the world pass. I was in the chair just a couple minutes with the sun baring down on my back, when I decided the sun was too hot. Yes I was complaining which goes to show you, “I am never satisfied”. My complaints were not so much real complaints but more a comment of my irritation. Rather than sit in my normal chair which was in the direct sun light I was forced to seek refuge in a rocking chair on the front porch.
                I am sure someone is questioning how a retire couple on a fixed income can afford two rocking chairs. Possibly due to the generous donations of the reading public or, maybe one of the chairs was found on the curb on trash pickup day. 
 
I hope the warm sun doesn’t force you into the shade.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: