Translate

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chest #001 02.10.14

Chest #001                                 02.10.14
 
A short story by Maestro Don Ford (maestro, meaning "master" or "teacher").
                I decided to make a wooden chest. I think I began the project in early December.
The project was supervised by Molly (seen below, showing indifference for the camera).
Boards were cut to precise specifications, then glued and secured with multiple clamps to create top, bottom, sides and ends (see below).
Sides, ends and bottom were temporarily clamped together to provide an assessment of additional work (see below).
The base was skillfully cut and temporarily assembled for review (below).
Project manager Molly, inspected every aspect of the work from the inside out, as seen below.
The chest was assembled in an effort to assure Molly that everything would fit properly. It was then disassembled for final sanding and minor touch up work.
Below we see the chest after it went through final assembly which included gluing and fasteners, it has also been stained.
 
I had to wait a couple weeks after staining for the application of varnish, due to cold weather conditions (I did not want to work in the cold and I wanted the varnish to dry properly).  The varnish used is a satin finish, so there is no high gloss shine.
 
 
Following final inspection Molly gave me an “A” for effort but only a “B” for execution.
Once completed the unit was numbered (#001), signed and will be presented to Gabi if she wants it. I feel there will need to be another as Alex has indicated he wants a toy chest also. 
 
An idle mind is the devils work shop.”
 that is why I try to stay somewhat busy.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: