Translate

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Can't be Right 10.20.13

               Hello from the Ford Homestead of Hewitt, Texas. We are doing well and hope you are also.
               What “can’t be right” you ask. Well I am about to tell you.  To the best of my memory, this is the first year since we have lived in the great state of Texas that this has happened.
How many years have we been here, almost 35 years?
Why is this the first year for this to occur; I believe I have the answer.
Earlier this year we had a lot of insulation installed in the attic and all the holes in the wall under the sinks were filled in alone with weather stripping on the windows and doors. I assume the insulation works.
I should tell you that the temperature this morning is 39 degrees and for me that is cold.
Yesterday I decided to go for a ride to the Bunk House for lunch. Before you ask, riding 45 minutes one way is not too far to ride for lunch. I like their “Tooth Picks” but I wish they were all peppers with no onions.
I have explained what Tooth Picks are in the past but I will try to explain again. Tooth Picks are thinly sliced peppers and onions that are dipped in a batter and then deep fried. They are served with Ranch Dressing.
I guess there are times when I do not pay enough attention to my environment. Yesterday I moved the Wing out of the garage and readied myself for a 45 minute ride to Clifton Texas. It seemed a little cool but not too cold, as the house blocked the wind off me. I chose the thin un-insulated leather gloves for the ride. For some reason I thought the temperature was about 65 when in fact it was 52 degrees.
I left the house first heading for the ATM to get a little cash. The ride to the ATM was about 1.5 miles and I quickly learned that is was cold. At the ATM I changed the light gloves to the heavy winter gloves and turned the hand grip heaters on. You can call me a wimp but the heated hand grips are nice.
If I was to be honest about half way to Clifton I was wishing I would have been in a car.
After the noon meal, which was very good, I readied myself for the ride home. My original thought was to ride directly to the Bunk House and after eating I would take a longer casual ride back to the Ford Homestead. I changed my mind and the ride home was as direct as possible. If I would have been smarter and taken a sweat shirt I could have enjoyed a casual ride home.
It seems I have again deviated from my original subject.
Normally at the Ford Homestead we would have the air conditioner on one day and the next day have the furnace on but that did not occur this year. We haven’t turned the heat on yet and as I said, “the temp this morning was 39 degrees”.  I assume the extra insulation actually works, who knew.
 
I guess that is it for now. My spouse of 44 years (who doesn’t want me to mention her name in my articles) and I need to head out for Brunch.
No I am not explaining what brunch is, you should know that.
 
Have a warm enjoyable day. 
Don Ford
 
 

No comments: