Translate

Friday, October 18, 2013

A ride to forget 101813

 

 

Last night the local Honda shop had their last dinner ride for the year. To explain what a dinner ride is, motorcycle riders meet at the Honda shop and ride together for approx. one hour with the destination being a restaurant.

               This final ride of the year was not well attended. There may have been 10 bikes on the ride and three were people that worked at the Honda shop. I was told we were going south of Waco for the evening repast (meal) when we actually went North West.

The lead rider did not seem to know where he was going as he slowed down and had his turn signal on several time but did not turn. Finally he made the turn and it was the wrong road. Everyone had to turn around on this small road and ride back to the main highway. As the motorcycles reentered the main highway, problems began to occur.

The main group headed up the road but one of the trikes had pulled off to the side. One of the Honda employees pulled over with him and I slowed down. I used the CB radio to let one of the riders in the main group know that we had a bike on the side of the road. It is odd that the lead bike did not have a CB.

I continued riding at a slower pace and could see the main group ahead. They turned left at a stop light. A general rule of riding in a group; if the group is spread out to a point where rider/s behind you can’t see that the group turned, a rider stops at the turn until the following rider/s see where to turn. 

I stopped and waited on the two following riders. It was almost 2 minutes before they caught up but they continued on as if they did not see me.

I turned around to follow them and as luck would have it the stop light was red.

Finally I was on my way. I could not see them but I continued on. Out of town I was on the highway again but still no motorcycles in sight.

I may have exceeded the speed limit in an attempt to catch up with them. I assume they may have been ridding faster trying to catch up with the group not know they had turned. I rode about 10 miles chasing them and when I did catch up with them I could not get them to pull over. I was flashing my head lights and had my turn signal on.

The Honda employee finally pulled over and he indicated that I should continue to attempt to get the other rider to pull over. I continued on and after a couple more miles finally was able to get him pulled over. I explained that the main group had turned and we needed to go back.

The trike rider and I rode back at a fast pace to the stop light but we did not see the Honda employee again.

We made the turn and headed out of town. I assumed that the main group had pulled over somewhere or at least one of the riders would have been waiting for us. 

The road we were on would eventually take is to highway 84 (about 15 miles). I had decided that I would head for home if we did not catch up with any of the riders by the time we got to highway 84.

The trike rider and I arrived at highway 84; I explained that I did not know where the group was and that I was taking a left on 84 and heading for home. I asked if he was ok and he said he was. I made the turn and rode for the Homestead.

30 minutes later I arrived at home.

All in all not the best ride, but I did get home safely.

 

I hope you don’t get separated from the group.

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: