Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2015

When I was a Children 10.01.15

 
                For some reason as I walked this morning my meditation took me back to the olden days of when I was a children. Before you make the comment, I like to say children more than saying child. I guess all you have to do is criticize, and who made up the word criticize.
First of all, they spelled it wrong. The first syllable “crit” is short for critter, the second syllable is spelled wrong instead of “ic” it should have been an “er”, third syllable should be spelled “size”. The original use of the work was to insult someone referring to them as a critter of small size, “crittersize”!  Enough teaching, let’s get back to my story.
What? You don’t believe me! Look it up, you will see that I am right.
During my morning meditation I was thinking of a time when we lived in the country. I would have been 10 to 11 years old. I was thinking about a rich family who lived maybe a half mile from our house. They lived in this huge home and next to it was a guest house there was a circular drive. The father owned Monroe Glass Co.
They had two sons, the one that was my age was named John. They were friendly even to us poor kids. I liked going to their house because they had all kinds of toys and they had a horse. The horse was named prince. A few years later the horse belonged to another of my friends.
I remember an old fat dog they had and its’ name was “Octember”. I remember the name because it was so odd. Now that I think about it, do you think someone made a mistake when the named the months of the year? Let’s consider the following.
September                         September
October               OR          Octember
November                          November
December                           December
                I believe it should have been Octember and not October!
 
                Back to my story, at the Monroe house they had two phones! Yes they had one upstairs and one downstairs, wow they were rich!
                I liked being there at lunch time as Ms. Monroe would ask if I would stay for lunch and I would always accept the offer. Their lunch was always something cooked and not a cold cut sandwich.
If you doubted that the Monroe’s were rich, they had a 1957 Cadillac. I remember it was a light blue and I got to ride in it a couple times. I always tried to sit by the window because they had power windows and I would open and shut the window. The car had air-conditioning, wow! 
You may wonder if they had a swimming pool and the answer is no. They had a pond (a tank for those in Texas) and we got to swim in it. They had a canoe that we paddled around the pond in. Yes, we had to wear life jackets.
 
Some rich people were nice to us poor people.
 
                Many years later during one of my trips back to Missouri, I drove past the Monroe house. I was surprised that the house was not as big as I remember it to be. The circular drive was still there. It did not appear to be owned by rich people anymore. 
 
May your memories from the olden days, never fade!
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: