Translate

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What the heck happened? 10.25.15


            It was a normal day, kinda! It would be a normal day if it were normal to have 7 inches of rain fall in two days.
My first wife and I had driven to the Sunday Brunch location, (I don’t want to advertise for the Cracker Barrow so I will not mention their name) where she, my first wife, was inside shopping and I was outside sitting in a rocking chair talking with an interesting Baylor student. He said he was pre-med and he was waiting for his parents to arrive.
There were people everywhere at the restaurant, inside the building, there were so many people they were basically shoulder to shoulder. Now you know why I was outside.
There were people standing and sitting outside all along the porch. I would estimate at least 50 people waiting to be seated in the dining area.
As the student and I spoke, I must say he was interesting for such a young man, I suddenly noticed that we were almost alone on the porch. There was the student, me and three other people who were at the other end of the porch.
I pointed it out saying everyone is gone. I suggested, it may be the end of the world and we were left behind. He noted that we might be in trouble if it is the end of the world or, there may have been two large groups that went in to eat.
Lunch / breakfast was good but there was one little problem on my mind. Our internet connection had stopped working, the home phone was also out of service and the TV was working but not properly.
I had called the provider TIME WARNER, notice I am advertising their name. They charge too much for their less than great service. We have been considering changing providers and today has convinced us to start getting serious. 
Time Warner staff checked everything and said it went south last night. They will be here to fix it Tuesday morning by 11:00. That is two days from the time I spoke with them and they didn’t even say they were sorry for the outage.
Change that is not initiated by you, is always considered as bad. Consider the following;
You have a job which you have been doing the same way for years. All of a sudden they want to change the process. Almost every employee becomes upset, many will covertly try to keep doing it the same way. People just do not like change that they have not initiated.
You have been driving the same route to and from work for several years. Things change and one of the streets that you have been using is now one way. You can’t drive that way anymore, you are now upset (madder than %#@*).
All that being true, I know you have your own stories about change but I am writing this, and I don’t want to hear them.
If you were a senior retired person, who does basically the same thing, at the same time every day, when all of a sudden things change, it is almost as if you have been removed from reality and for some unknown reason living in an altered state.
That is how two retired senior citizens felt when their electronic world was disrupted. When your TV is disrupted, you have no internet, no home phone service it is similar to, taking a young person’s smart phone away from them.  Now you understand the desperation that was felt at the Ford Homestead Sunday, Monday and half of Tuesday.
I can’t post this until the internet connection is restored so, when you read this, we again have some service.
I have been looking at new pickup trucks and find;
  ü      Anyone who is retired and on a fixed income,
  ü who must pick up aluminum cans to have some extra income
  ü       who relies on road kill for at least three meals each week,
can’t afford a new pickup.
Donations will be accepted from anyone who feels sorry for a senior in my situation. I would need just a few thousand dollars, which would help put me in a new ride.

Charity will make “you” feel good!
            Monday, the day after two days of rain, I decided to spread some fire ant killer over the yard. I assumed that the yard would still be wet and the bare spots would be muddy after the 7 inches of rain.   
            I was impressed that the yard even though it was damp was not muddy, even in the spots where the grass was dead. The ground was so dry that it literally soaked up the water like a sponge. We may get another 2 to 4 inches Friday and Halloween.
            I have mowed the yard today (Tuesday). I haven’t had to mow for about a month or more so I guess it is time. I waited until the Cable Employee got here and did his work. He made a few repairs and as you can see, we are back up and running.
            The yard looks better than others in the neighborhood now that it has a nice trim job. I need a trim job too (hair cut).  
Remember, Charity will make “you” feel good! I need the money!
Don Ford 

No comments: