Translate

Monday, August 3, 2015

What was it? 08.03.15

                I find it hard to believe it is August but when the afternoon temperature hits 100 or higher, I find it less difficult to believe.  We had rain every day for the month of June and then July comes along and not a drop of rain in July.

 

                I have been asked how the new addition at The Ford Homestead is proceeding, it is getting close to completion. I have installed an emergency evacuation slide. What, you don’t know what an emergency evacuation slide is!                 Ok, I will try to explain.

                In the olden days, some buildings that had several floors, also had an emergency evacuation slide. These slides were inside a tube and a person who needed to evacuate a building would get on the slide inside the tube. The tube went straight down, the slide was circular kind of like some of the kids slides today, and one would go in circles down to the bottom. 

                When I was in junior high school, they had this type of emergency evacuation device. The old school was 4 stories high and when they would let us know about a fire drill in advance, some of us boys would go to the fourth floor so we could ride the slide from the top to the bottom. It was kind of fun.

                Back to the new addition, I am at the point of needing to paint the structure and then install the walls. I must say it has been some hot work that was also, if not fun, it is rewarding work!

 

                As I was enjoying my early morning walk the other day, I noticed something small and white moving across the street, it was a, “what was that, moment”. I could not determine what it was, as it would move then stop and move again. In my all-knowing brain, I thought it might be a small white mouse. As I continued walking towards it, it would start and then stop. This creature finally stopped when it reached the curb. As I approached, I was surprised to see that it was a fluffy white feather. A light breeze would cause it to move then stop, and move again.

 

                Another, “what was it moment”, occurred yesterday morning as I sat on the rocker near the garage door of the drive way. (Is it correct to say, “I sat on the rocker”, or, “I sat in the rocker”? I sit on it, and also, in the confines of it!)

It was almost 11:00am and the sun was bright, although I and the rocker, were in the shade. I was dressed and ready to go out for Sunday Brunch, while my spouse of 46 years was getting ready.

I was somewhat surprised when I observed a fairly large shadow, move quickly across the driveway. My first thought was a Hawk, but I had not heard any birds flying away, which always happens when a hawk is prowling the area. I looked up and there was nothing overhead, not even a dove.

As I pondered this, “what was it, moment” it occurred to me that it may have been an alien space ship shadow. Before you say I am wrong, let’s consider this. Alien space ships can cloak themselves (be invisible to the human eye) but even though we can’t see the space ship, it is still there, and it will leave a shadow.

I know, it is difficult for the untrained mind, to understand all the many marvelous thoughts that come from a highly trained, and might I say undefinable brain like mine! Just believe what I say and you will be better off.

 

Let me know if you have a, “what is it moment”, and I will be glad to research the event and explain in easy to understand terms what it was.

 

May all your, “what was it moments”, be interesting!

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: