Translate

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

F O R D = Fix Or Repair Daily

            In the olden days I would counter the above statement with;

F O R D = First On Race Day.

 
 
               You ask, why I have remembered these old adages. Well it is a cold story that begins in the year 2000, which was the year that Ford built this Explore. Claire and Dave now own this Explore as a second vehicle.
It is a nice looking vehicle with room for the kids and some groceries or other items in the back. They have had the vehicle for a couple days and are getting use to how it runs and watching for any problems that could pop up in an older vehicle.  By the way, it was made the same year that Donna’s Expedition was made.
Yesterday morning there was rain that was freezing on the trees and hoods of the cars. The wind was blowing which made it almost unbearable outside. This weather provided the perfect day for a vehicle to not start
 
Yep, the vehicle motor would not turn over. When you put the key in the ignition and attempt to start the motor the lights on the dash would come on but not a sound from the motor.
 
As you may know, I have advanced training as a mechanic; (1.a person who repairs and maintains machinery, motors, etc.: an automobile mechanic. 2. a worker who is skilled in the use of tools) so I decided to diagnose the problem. I naturally went to the battery (since that is about all I qualified to check out) assuming it was old or at least had a low charge. 
 
The vehicle was parked on the street where there was no wind brake and my extension cord would not reach the vehicle.  I went to the shed to get my small generator.  I had to put gas in it and then hoped it would start.  You know how hard it is to start a small gas motor in cold weather. I set the choke, flipped the switch to on, opened the gas valve and begin to pull the rope. I was happily surprised that the motor ran after only a few pulls of the rope.
I took the generator and battery charger to the vehicle and began charging the battery.  I was surprised that the battery was only taking a minimal charge which indicated the battery was good. 
 
After charging for more than an hour I then decided to attempt to start the vehicle but again, nothing. 
 
I then decided to remove the battery cables and clean the battery post and cables. I had to bother my neighbor Glen since I could not find my battery post cleaner. Glen has had a cough for several days and did not need to be outside.
 
The post and cables were cleaned; I placed the cables back on the battery and didn’t break anything. I attempted to start the vehicle but still nothing. At this point I was getting cold and a little wet.  From the shelter of my home I called Glen to get his advice.
 
It was decided that I would jump the vehicle. Since my jumper cables were in my pickup and Claire had driven it to work I had to borrow jumper cables from Glen.   I drove Donna’s vehicle to the front of the Explore and attached the cables. I got in to the Explore and inserted the key. After a short prayer I turned the key and nothing.
 
As you may have determined, I was somewhat frustrated.  I moved Donna’s vehicle back into the drive way and I was beginning to think it was some type of electrical problem other than the battery. I conferred with Glen again when I returned the jumper cables.
 
I decided to try one other thing.  I have two batteries in the shed that stay charged by the solar panel. I removed one of the batteries and carried it to the vehicle. I then removed the battery from the Explore. I found that the battery in the Explore was 2 years old. I put my battery into the Explore.  I was not confident that the results would be different from the previous attempts. When the key was turned to the on position, nothing happened.
 
I then removed my battery from the vehicle and replace the original battery. I took my tools, generator, and battery etc. back to their original locations.  I gave up, assuming there was an electrical problem that I was not able to find.
 
Claire came home that evening with the answer to the Ford not starting. One of her friends had told her about the anti-theft plug that must be properly inserted for the vehicle to run. She went to the vehicle and adjusted the plug and the vehicle started.
 
From the almost mechanical mind of                       Don Ford
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Now this sounds just like a stubborn old man who just can't imagine he'd be wrong! A for effort. Glad Clare could fix it for you. Bahahahahaha!