Translate

Friday, March 9, 2012

Retired Not Starved

Retired Not Starved
How to survive on Social Security 
Being retired and living on a small social security check means one has to give up many things. When you don’t work and don’t have a weekly check you have to improvise and cut back.  Obviously the cell phones have to go and the cable vision must be reduced to basic service. For us, being old and retired, eating out had to stop also.  We use to enjoy going out each Friday evening for supper but these SS checks make it tough to enjoy a hamburger at a fast food restaurant so a nice meal at a restaurant is out of the question. It is somewhat embarrassing to go to a fast food restaurant and order a kids hamburger without fries and have to drink water all because you are now on social security.
            I have been told there are some excellent web sites that have some real good recipes using canned dog and cat food. You can make a nice pot of chili using caned Alpo. The key is adding the right spices.  If you use the cheap dog food the chilly might seem somewhat greasy.
            The cat food can be used when you have friends over, just spread the cat food on crackers and it looks like and expensive pate’.  Don’t try making pate’ with the cheap cat food as it smells and you guests will know it is cat food. Some of the cheap cat food smells like sardines which is not all bad because I like real sardines but your friends may not. The cheap cat food leaves you with very bad breath.
            I have gained 20 pounds since I retired and started eating the cat and dog food. My doctor suggested I could start exercising more and eating less but when I go for a walk now I want to stop and smell all the mail box post and telephone poles which may have something to do with eating the dog food.  The real problem occurs when I stop at the neighbor’s mail box and lift my leg to urinate on it.  Maybe I need to eat more cat food.
Some of the above may not be true.

From the never ending thoughts of     Don Ford      

Thanks.

All rights reserved, any reproduction or distribution without written permission is prohibited.


                 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Wow, you are bad. Thanks for the visual. I'll start saving dog & cat food coupons from my Sunday paper for you, then maybe you'll be able to afford fries with that burger!