Translate

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Words

               As you know we are originally from Missouri and we are now Naturalized Texans. There are some differences when comparing “Missouri Speak” to the articulation of words from other states.

               One example of southern Missouri speak is; “jah ea jet” to which the proper response could be “no jew”.  As you can see the correct articulation would be “did you eat yet”, “no did you”. 

How about the Missouri word “ka-mera”.  Yes you got that on correct “come here”.

               Most of you know what “tar” is; it is a black sticky substance used to patch roads and sometime roofs. When it gets on your car it is hard to get off. In Missouri there are a couple other uses for the word “tar”.

1.     You have a “flat tar” on your car (tire).

2.     The antenna is on the “radio tar” (tower).

3.     I worked hard today and I am “tard” (tired)

When I was a child I remember dad building things with “tober4” boards.  No one ever told me they were 2 by 4s. I was in the 8th grade shop class before I understood 2 by 4.

               Did you eat your samich.  I like Ham and Cheese samiches (sandwiches).

Improper articulation of words may be the reason I can’t spell. Attempting to spell a word the way you think it is “pernounce” (pronounced) may cause problems. 

               Another reason I can’t spell is I learn by seeing and listening.  Imagine being in grade school and you are taking a spelling test. The teacher gives you the word “ran” and then she says, “The cat ran after the mouse”. In my head I would visualize the cat chasing the mouse but the word “ran” would not be in my head. 

               Missourians seldom believe anything they are told and often say, “You have to show me”. That is why Missouri is called “the show me state”.

               How many words do you articulate incorrectly?

From the non-spelling mind of     Don Ford      

 

Thanks.

 

All rights reserved, any reproduction or distribution without written permission is prohibited.

 

 

 

No comments: