Translate

Monday, March 19, 2012

Stick #15

When you have almost nothing to do you look for anything to keep you busy. I found that I could make walking sticks from limbs I cut from my trees.
Photo below is of me and stick #15 as it starts its conversion.  why call it stick #15, my wife suggested I mnumber them. The first step is to pick a stick. #15 at the start is approx. 64 inches tall.
Then I start to remove the outer bark using a large knife; it is easy to hold and it holds a good edge.
I have wondered what the neighbors think when an old man sits in his driveway with a large hunting knife.
Most of the work is completed sitting in my rocker on the drive way. Removing the bark makes a big mess. I never know what to expect as I remove the bark and each stick is different. The wood is usually light in color when the bark is removed. 
I use a saw to remove larger limb-stumps and as the unit is getting close to being finished I sometimes cut it to the preferred size. I also use a wood rasp and sand paper to round off and smooth the wood. Each unit must be smooth to the touch.
After cutting a small amount off the large end I also cut about a foot from the small end, # 15 is now 54 inches long. The foot long piece may become a handle to a wood mallet.
To stain a walking stick I use a torch and lightly burn the wood.
Below: I have started to varnish this stick; you may be able to see the difference between one coat and no varnish. The first coat has a tendency to soak in.
After: The stick has 3 coats of varnish and has a finished appearance. 
I have a friend in Missouri (Gerald) who makes walking sticks and canes and he is a true artist. I am happy with my walking sticks but his are real nice.   
Above is a photo taken by Gabi; she is 5 years old. The photo is very good and shows her ability to use a camera.  She is a lot like her grandpa, smart and a good photographer. The walking stick #15 is also in the photo.

Thanks  

Don Ford

Be safe,stay healthy,take naps and enjoy your family and friends.

                
                  

No comments: