Translate

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Remodeling 07.20.16

Breaking News  
I am so tired of hearing those words, “Breaking News”, that I am thinking about turning off the TV and Radio and abstaining from any, so called news.
In all truth, the following is actually, “Breaking News!
Darn, now I am doing it!         
                                     
Remodeling         07.20.16
            It was decided at a recent Board Meeting, here at The Ford Homestead, that we should remodel a part of one of the many structures on the property. Now this particular structure was built possibly 30 years ago, and has served us well over the years. It was first used as a place to relax for me and the first wife. Before I get that question, a porch swing was attached. It was later converted in to a play area for Gabi, and then we altered it so Alex could also use it.
            The other day I noticed when both of the grandees were participating on the unit, the main board holding the swings was flexing somewhat, when they were both swinging in the same direction at the same time.
            It was decided we would replace the main board and continue to use the same legs and supports. When I took the frame apart Monday morning, I decided to replace the entire structure. Some of the parts are shown in the photo below. Yes, I occasionally work in the seated position, but I never just sit in the shade contemplating. 
 
            I made a list of items needed and then hooked up the trailer to the Ford’s Chevy and headed for the home center. Purchases made, and $48.00 spent, I returned to the homestead and backed the trailer into the back yard under the shade of a tree, and began working.
            Not counting the time spent taking the swing set apart, or going to get the new materials, I spent 5 hours in the afternoon heat (98 degrees) measuring, cutting and drilling the new wood.
I was a tired puppy that evening, I even took a shower before I went to bed, and it wasn’t even Saturday!
            Next morning (Tuesday) I entered the back yard as soon as the shade covered the work site, about 8:00am, and began to work. I did stop for lunch but re-entered the work area immediately following the noon repast. It was about 2:30 when I finished, or almost finished. All the bolts will need to be retightened in a couple days, and I need to paint the unit. I have brown paint but Alex has requested blue and green paint.
 
In the above photo the frame is assembled, but it is too large for one person to move in to position as the 4x4s are 8 foot tall. It will need to be moved just a few feet, so I can re-attach the unit to the ground anchors. We have scheduled OSHA to visit the job site to inspect the structure this Friday.

           Alex will not likely get his way with the painting (blue and green), as I do have the brown paint on site.

Work not, lest ye be tired!
Don Ford

No comments: