Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

It happened this way 08.26.15

 
                It was another one of those hot and dusty days that seems to always be present, during the month of August in Texas. The high temperature was predicted to reach a cool 97 degrees, but as usual the predictions were incorrect (flat out wrong)! Our high for the day turned out to be a mild 100 degrees with about the same amount of humidity. For a few moments I had flash backs, feeling as if I was back in, “Swamp East Missouri”.
                I had recently decided to see if it might be easier to finish the painting chores that I have been assigned, by using a paint spray gun.
Searching through my vast memory bank (that is my brain for that one person who might need to have things explained) I recalled having a paint spray gun. I even remember where it had been stored for the last 20 or so years.
I am thinking I should refer to the spray gun by some other name, since the homeland security is surely monitoring my emails. I referred to the secret service in Mondays posting, and today I am talking about spray guns. This could become an explosive situation. Now I have done it, I mentioned explosive in this email. Heck the only thing I haven’t mentioned is a pressure cooker. Oh darn, I just wrote pressure cooker, now I know they will be knocking on my door.
What are you laughing about? This email is addressed to you so they will be coming to your house too!
I retrieved the paint spraying device and began to check it over. There was a little red paint left on the device from the last time it was used, which was probably 20 years ago. We had a swimming pool in the back yard and we had a wood privacy fence around the pool. As the fence aged it was decided to paint the fence a dark red color.
I took the device apart attempting to remember how the adjustments worked. Two situations quickly presented themselves.
First, I did not remember which knob controlled what, on the spray device.
Second, three of the gaskets had deteriorated over the years and broke when I disassembled the device. I was able to replace two of the gaskets and decided I could find or make a replacement for the third gasket if I could remember how the controls worked.
I decided to check the Harbor freight web site as they post manuals for almost everything they sell. Accessing the web site I entered the words, “paint sprayer” in the search window. The first thing I saw, was a new paint spraying device that cost $9.99. That was with in my price range and it came with instructions.
Being somewhat of an investigator I decided to read some of the reviews. I must say they were informative and offered some good advice. I decided that I could afford the $9.99 for the sprayer and of course I would get something free if I took a coupon.
It occurred to me, if I used the sprayer just one time and tossed it out, it would still be a good deal.  Before that one person asks, I got a free 7 function digital multi-meter. I have several of these, some I have used and others are still in the package, unopened. If it is free, I take it.
 
Monday morning before it was too hot I begin the project. I had decided to try my new sprayer and see how much I could get done on the addition, to the Ford Homestead.
First I needed to move all the supplies and equipment near the project. I pulled the air compressor out first, then I gathered up a 100 foot extension cord. I took the air hose and the sprayer along with the paint and a stir. I gathered up a paint filter and some clean water to use with the paint as a thinner.
Checking the time, I decided it was getting close to time for feeding the grandkids. I would go in and cool down a little before preparing their lunches. I also ate a light lunch and took a short nap so I would be sharp and focused when I began the spraying of paint.
Z Z Z Z Z Z 
Nap time over I was refreshed and ready to work. I filled a bucket with soapy water to use in the eventual clean up, and headed for the project site. 
First I decided to power up the compressor and run some air without paint through the sprayer.  The compressor would not start, it would not even turn over.
What to do? In my all-knowing way, I decided that it might be the 100 foot extension cord, could it be too light to handle the load. I pulled the heavy air compressor back to the garage and plugged it in, just to verify that it would work.
It did nothing, it was dead as a door nail! Why would the unit not start? Being almost a genius, it quickly came to me, there may be a circuit breaker on the compressor motor. I search for a few minutes but nothing was seen. 
There was only one thing left to do, I would need to access the service manual for the compressor. I have a box that I keep all my manuals in. I retrieved the box from the garage and went inside hoping to acclimate to the air conditioning (cool down) while I was searching for the manual.
I only had to go through about half of the box before I found the manual. Yep, there was a breaker, I went into the garage and pushed the button on the compressor. The compressor sprang to life! 
That problem solved, what was I going to do for power? I did not have a heavy extension cord that was long enough to reach the job site. Being on a fixed income I could not afford to purchase such a cord.
The only thing I could think of doing, required more work on my part. I would need to bring the generator from the shed to the job site. This unit weighs 100 pounds, it is on wheels and it is difficult for one properly aged citizen to get it out of the shed. Think getting it out is hard, try putting it back in the shed, it must go up the ramp!
A few strains in the almost overwhelming heat and I had the generator out of the shed and positioned near the jobsite. I checked the oil and added gas. This generator has an electric starter, which requires a 12 volt battery. I have one of those jumper devices that has its own battery inside. I walked to the garage and retrieved the unit carrying it to the generator. I connected the jumper unit to the generator and pushed the starter button. Yes, you are correct, it did not start.
Darn, I will now need to use the pull starter. This generator has a fairly large motor and I assumed, it would be very difficult for someone of advanced years, to pull start. I set the choke and made sure the gas was turned on. I grasped the handle on the rope, pulled it one time, the motor spring to life.  It seemed too easy.
Now the generator is running, the compressor was working, I connected the sprayer to the air hose, and sprayed some air. It made a nice cool breeze on my face.
I mixed the paint with water to thin it, I poured the paint through the strainer and now I was finally ready to see if I could paint. I filled the sprayer with paint that looks a lot like a chocolate frosty from Wendy’s. I like those frostys.
I squeezed the trigger and the air flowed. I pulled the trigger the rest of the way and amazingly, the paint sprayed. I began spraying all the unpainted wood. I painted for about 30 minutes refilling the sprayer several times.
During the work I was sweating profusely, I noticed that when I took my cap off to wipe the sweat, the bill of the cap was wet. I had perspired so much that the bill of the cap was completely wet, and sweat was literally dripping off the bill of the cap.
Work completed and the sprayer cleaned, everything had to be returned to its proper location. I will not continue this story, as the put away process was much more orderly than the afore mentioned process of getting it out. 
 
                $9.99 for the sprayer, was well worth it!
 
May all your work go as planned!
 
Don Ford

No comments: