Translate

Friday, August 14, 2015

Meditation by Ford 08.14.15

 

                As with most mornings, I took my usual 30 minute stroll up and down the street. I have found that walking can be somewhat boring. It has also came to my attention that when something is boring, I don’t enjoy doing it. As I have stated in the past, during my walks I focus on an object at the end of the street.

                Today I was walking and as usual I was focused on an object. I noticed I could hear my foot steps and as each foot would impact the pavement my shoe laces (which are kind of long) would also make a secondary small sound. As you may know, I do carry a walking stick or cane during my walks. The cane also makes a dull impact sound when it hits the pavement, then it bounces slightly and impacts the pavement a second time making a lesser sound.

                I explain this to say, being totally focused on an object, listening to my own footsteps, shoe laces and a double cane sound, I was in either a state of meditation, a trance or just plain old day dreaming. I was approaching the end of the block where I would turn and start back up the street, when out of nowhere came a voice which said, “good morning”!

                Very surprised, I looked to my left and about 20 feet away was my neighbor who lives at the end of the street. I replied with, “good morning”.  I explained that I focus on an item when I am walking and often do not see anything on either side of the street (I didn’t want him to think I was ignoring him).

                I understand that meditation is usually accomplished when a person is in a still position (which is probably more day dreaming, than meditation). I find, that my form of meditation, allows me to concentrate on a subject (being thankful for my many blessings, thinking about what I might do today, considering an idea for a blog posting) and, get my 30 minutes of exercise all at the same time.  Walking in a state of meditation allows time to pass, and I am not bored.

                I usually walk the same path (streets) and I believe the familiarity of the surroundings allows me to easily get into a meditation mode.

In the past, when I would walk various streets I would find myself being critical of almost every home owner. I would comment to myself about their lawns, trees, shrubs, their homes and even their vehicles. I know, you find it hard to believe that I would be critical of anyone for any reason, but I would.

Try it, you might be surprised how nice it is to exercise and meditate at the same time.

 

Totally different subject; a security camera went out and I can’t see the new expansion. That camera is one of two that has a view of the area where the kids play. So I will need to venture into town and attempt to purchase another camera today.

Different subject; I flew my drone yesterday and made a video of the new addition, even though it is not totally complete. I am still not a real good pilot of the drone, but I do like to fly it. It would be nice to have one of the expensive drones but, being on a fixed income, I must be satisfied with the less expensive model.

 

Hope you have a real nice day!

 

Don Ford 

 

No comments: