Translate

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Trash talking 09.08.14

 
                Trash talking; insulting or boastful speech intended to demoralize, intimidate, or humiliate someone, especially an opponent in an athletic contest. 
                Trash talking, is it a sport? 
                It seems as if trash talking can be considered fun for some, if not a sport. Why do people feel the need to indulge in trash talking, does it make the inferior feel superior?
                If you watch TVs “The Big Bang Theory” you will have seen Sheldon’s attempts at trash talking. Obviously, Sheldon’s attempts at trash talking is less that successful, but it allows those of us who do not participate in the exercise, to somewhat understand what it is.
                If you will allow me to change the subject just for a moment, I would like to show you a couple photos that I took this morning prior to taking Gabi to school.
 The owner of this web does not give up, this web has been in the same location and being improved daily. I would say he or she is a true artist. The spider moved away from the center of the web when I approached to get the photo. The shadow in the back ground is a tree, and the early morning sun was providing the lighting for the web.
 Gabi, just noticed that I had her in my sights. She has her kitty shirt on and is ready for the daily rigors of second grade school life. Yes there is pecan leaves just above and to the right of her head.
                Back to the trash talking. There are many things that people can indulge in without getting involved in trash talking. Everyone knows that I try to refrain from this activity, preferring to talk about only good and positive things, always building others up.
                What started me thinking about trash talking, you ask. Well it was my wife who caused me to start thinking about the subject. I know, you would not think of my present wife as being involved in this, but she does. 
                Frankly, I find it irritating and sometimes offensive, especially when I am not involved in a conversation with her. She starts talking, and all I can do is listen.
Yes I have told her what I think about it, but my comments do not seem to change her position.
Just this morning as I was preparing to go for my morning walk, my spouse of 45 years started with, “the trash talking”. Her comments were demoralizing to me, it was intended to intimidate me, and yes I was humiliated. All I could do was listen.
You be the judge and decide if what she said was trash talk.  Here is what she said, “Today is trash day, don’t forget to put the trash out”.
 What could I do? If I ignore her I will not get supper. I had no recourse but to put the trash out, even though I find it offensive.
Have a blessed day!
Don Ford
 

No comments: