Translate

Monday, September 15, 2014

Fixed income personified 09.15.14

               
                Those of us who live on a fixed income understand the need for repairing of old items verses purchasing new items.
                I will attempt to help you understand how repairing even small relatively inexpensive items, can be a big plus for those of us who must live off a, “never changing monthly income”.
                I have been sorting through and consolidating items (wire nuts, butt connectors, coaxial connectors, screws, nuts and bolts) with the hope of being more organized and the possibility, even though it is a remote possibility, that I might get rids of some unneeded items (junk, items not needed or used in the past couple years).
                I have this small plastic see through container that has had a broken hinge. The hinge has been broken for several years, and even though the hinge was broken I could still snap the top on and it was used for small items.
                During consolidation I emptied this container and two others. My first thought was to put them in the trash but them my fixed income brain took over and I decided to attempt to repair this one container. Two out of three were tossed out, wow, I am making progress.
                The plastic container has been laying empty in the garage for a couple weeks now and this morning I decided to, “Attempt the repair”.  
 We see in the photo a clear plastic container. I will answer the question before that one person asks. “Yes, the toy dinosaur is mine and yes I do play with it when no one is looking”
                In the next photo you may be able to see the broken tab on the left side of the container.
 The question was, how do I execute a repair that will be permanent and inexpensive?
                I had previously given this situation some consideration and had developed a plan. The plan was to drill a hole through both parts of the plastic hinge, then insert a pin of some type through the holes which would act as a permanent axel for the hinge.
                I had not planned on the pin being and actual, “safety pin”.
  Click on any photo to see a slightly larger image.
                I save probably a dollar and a half by repairing this project, but I have nothing to put in the container.
 
                For detailed plans on this repair, send $25.00 to, “The Ford Homestead Foundation” and ask for repair # 223.
 
May all your repairs be simple and cheap.
 
Don Ford
 

No comments: