Translate

Monday, June 24, 2013

I think it was a success.

            Good morning, I hope you enjoyed the weekend. We had a good weekend especially after the garage sale ended.  I should start by saying the sale was much better than expected. I don’t have the exact number of dollars that my wide of 44 years received from the sale but it was much better than I expected. I may have had my one item priced too cheap, as it sole to the first person that looked at it. He asked if it would start and I replied “probably not”. I turned the gas on and the fellow pulled the rope two times and the generator jumped to life. He was sold and I was happy.
            Now, “the rest of the story”; My wife of 44 years and I went to lunch about 2:00pm after shutting down the sale.  We enjoyed a relaxing lunch inside the air conditioned restaurant. After eating and relaxing we went to purchase a new generator. As luck would have it, this item was on sale and they had none in stock.  They said they have a truck coming on Thursday but they were not sure the generator would be on the truck. Item on sale and none in stock, that sounds a little suspicious to me.
            I have an observation about yard sales and it has to do with the type of people that go to these sales.
ü  There is “the person that is looking for certain items that will be resold”. These people arrive alone are in a hurry and often ask do you have a certain item or type of item finding none they turn and leave. These people are usually male.
ü  Another group is people looking for things they actually need like baby clothes or something for their home. These people usually come as couples.
ü  There is the group that enjoy going to garage sales mostly to talk but will purchase something if it catches their eye. These people are mostly older couples and the sale is a social function.
ü  There is the segment that arrives with children. There will often be two adult women and multiple kids. The kids play with the toys and the adults look at everything else. This group needs to be watched closely as some of them (not all) allow the kids to be distractions while the adults take items without paying. Watch the kids too; they might walk off with a toy not knowing it is theft. (I might be a little cynical in the last observation)
            Someone told me these Four-O’clocks only bloomed at 4:00PM. This photo was taken at 6:00 am and as you can see some are in full bloom. At the same time I took the next photo and they were still sleeping. We have 4 plants of the “O’clocks” and they bloom at different times.
I am the “Senior Flowerologists” at the Ford Foundation and I have decided to rename our plants, “O’clocks”, leaving the number off. Our plants now have the freedom that many plants wish they had, and that is “they can bloom when they want to”.
 
I hope you have a flowery day!
 
Don Ford;   Flowerologist extraordinaire  
 

No comments: