Translate

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New Generator is a no go.

               I wanted to get a new generator for the Ford Homestead. The old generator is a 5KW unit and it works every time I have needed it. There have been a few power outages that lasted longer than a couple hours. Short power outages do not require a generator unless that occur at night then you might need some lights and a TV.
               The longer power outages without a generator will allow food in the refrigerator and freezer to spoil. Having a generator allows you to keep the refrigerator and freezer working properly. Some of us think having the TV and Wi-Fi connection is as important as the preservation of food. The generator also allows the charging of Cell Phones and depending on who your home phone service is with (for those of us that have home phone service); they may not work during a power outage. 
               I was hoping to sell my present generator so I brought it to the garage from the shed and Alex helped me clean the dust off. Alex is very helpful when cleaning anything even though he is only three years old next week. Once the present generator was wiped off I checked the oil (it will not run if the oil is low) and the air filter along with the spark plug. Everything was clean and ready to go. I do not keep gas in the unit because it could go bad between infrequent uses.
               The generator now looked almost like a new unit.  I decided to put some gas in it and run it a few minutes. After putting some gas in I opened the gas valve and allowed the gas to enter the gas line through the filter into the carburetor.  I set the choke and turned the switch to run. I slowly pulled the started rope not attempting to start the unit just assuring the gas was in the carburetor.  I was now ready to attempt to start the unit.  One fast pull on the rope and the unit sprang to life (it started, for that one person that did not understand sprang to life)
               After some serious thought about the new electric start generator and me being on a fixed income I decided that there is nothing wrong with my present generator so I will run the gas out of it and put it back in the shed.
Now that I have saved all that money do I need to think of something else to buy?
 
From the always generating brain of                        Don Ford.
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited. 
 
 
 
                
                  
 

No comments: