Translate

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It sounds the same

            Hunting, especially deer hunting requires one to be still and very quiet.

 
               I have sat in deer stands in years past, waiting for that one unsuspecting deer to walk into an open area allowing me to harvest the animal. Harvest is a politically acceptable word for killing. Lots of people don’t mind harvesting but have a problem with killing.
               I personally no longer find hunting enjoyable. I don’t have a problem with those that do hunt but as for me I don’t want to kill anything.
               As I sat in my rocking chair near the garage door on the driveway this morning, the sun was shining on me, the combination of my sweatshirt and the sun kept me reasonably warm.  There was no wind to speak of and I assume everyone had gone to work since there was no traffic on our street.
               To say it was unusually quite would be an understatement. It was eerily quiet which caused me to think about sitting in a deer stand early in the morning. When you are in the country away from homes and roads you expect it to be quiet but sitting in your yard in town it can be an unexpected pleasure.  As I sit there I became aware of all the bird sounds.  There were even a couple crows, off in the distance.
               The neighbor’s dogs were all quiet but in the distance I could hear a dog bark occasionally. These sounds were exactly what I would have expected to hear had I have been deer hunting.
               I must have enjoyed the sounds of nature for about 20 uninterrupted minutes. I was relaxing as I listened to what seemed to be hundreds of bird calls.
               Eventually the peace and quiet was broken by a huge yellow school bus. I was now aware that the sun had gone behind the clouds and I was no longer warm and comfy. I got up and came into the house and watched Scooby Doo with Alex.
 
From the peaceful mind of            Don Ford
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
                                                                                                                  
                  
 

1 comment:

Mary said...

What a life!