Translate

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A short ride on Sunday

               Sunday is a good name for the day of the ride as the sun was shining brightly. The weather was clear and windy with a predicted high for the day of 72.  My neighbor didn’t ride due to his back hurting and riding on a windy day might not be good for a hurting back.
               Riding alone is ok with me but when I stop to take a break or eat I like to have someone there to talk with. I wasn’t sure how long I would ride since it was supposed to be windy all day. The wind not only blows the bike around it can stir up pollen causing allergies.
               I left the house about 10:00 and headed in the general direction of Valley Mills taking the back roads trying to stay out of the open areas (to avoid the wind). To my surprise the wind did not cause any problems.
               I thought that the Bunkhouse was closed on Sunday so I could not get any BBQ there. I turned to the north and had a destination goal of Glen Rose and Hammon’s for lunch.
               The ride to Glen rose was uneventful and almost no traffic. It is about 80 miles to Glen Rose. Below is a photo of the old Court House in Glen Rose. The flags indicate the amount of wind during the ride.
               The parking lot at Hammon’s was full but I was able to get my bike in next to another motor cycle. The food was good and the lunch break was appreciated.
               After lunch I noticed my gas gage was below half a tank so I stopped to fill up.  I didn’t know how I wanted to ride back but I wanted different roads from the trip up. I got on a rode heading south which would take me through Walnut Grove and Hamilton. I picked up highway 6 at Hamilton and headed for Hewitt. As I was riding behind a pickup, he moved over to the shoulder so I could pass. This is a common courtesy here in Texas so as I passed I flashed my four ways (a way to say thanks).  As luck would have it my four-ways would not turn off.  I rode for probably 3 miles pushing the button for the flashers before they shut off.
               The rest of the ride home was uneventful. I stopped and filled the gas tank at the Wal-Mart and arrive home a few minutes before 3:00.
               Below is a photo of Miss Molly lying in the sun that was coming through the back storm door. She was getting ready to take a warm nap and yes I took a nap also.
 
From the biker mind of    Don Ford
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
 
 
                
                  
 

No comments: