Translate

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

In the beginning was the Cell phone

               Yes I do understand that everyone has a cell phone and most of them are considered “smart phones”. My phone is not smart and possibly if I were smarter I would have a smart phone.
               The term “smart phone” means different things to different people. There is a group of people that believe having a “smart phone” means they are smart. There is no doubt that these people seem smarter, the phone does everything for them except wipe their      nose.
               What did you think I was going to say? You always have your mind in the gutter.
 
               I did drop my cell phone (not a smart phone) into the toilet at home.
Yes, I quickly reached in and pulled it out. If I had been at a public toilet I would have left it there.
No, I had not used the toilet, the water was clean. No I would not tell you if I had used the toilet.
Yes, I was able to dry it out and it worked after placing it in a bowl of dry rice for a day.  I learned about using rice from the Kim Kamando radio show. 
Possibly, if I would have had a smart phone it would have been able to swim in the toilet and maybe get out by itself.
 
               I bought my first cell phone over 25 years ago. Back in the early to mid-80s there were few cell phone towers and service was not very good. My first cell phone was called a bag phone. It was named bag phone because it was a huge phone and battery placed inside a canvas bag with a big zipper on top not because it reminder you of your spouse. The hand set was the same size of a house phone if you remember what a house phone was.
I think my first plan was for 30 minutes of so called free calling and 25 cents per minute after that.
As long as you stay inside the service area everything was alright (you could make and receive calls). The service area was basically Waco and 5 to 10 miles around.  If I was driving to Temple which is 25 or so miles south of Waco, I would need to call 411 on the cell phone when I arrived in Temple to register my phone into that system.  If I didn’t call 411 the cell phone systems would not know where I was and calls would not be received. 
Yes I have had the same cell phone number and been with the same carrier since I purchased my first bag phone. If you know the number you know it is very easy to remember.
 
               The carrier AT&T should offer discounts to users who have been with them for more than a quarter century.
 
From the Phony mind of               Don Ford

All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
 
                                                                                                                             
                  
 

No comments: