Translate

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Most Excellent Ride, 11/03/12

            Our most excellent ride began about 9:00am on a foggy Saturday morning.

               My usual 100% efficiency was not in effect Saturday morning. As I was preparing for the Saturday ride I remembered that I needed to check the air in the tires and also check the oil. 
It should suffice to say I was hot and sweaty before I got on the bike to ride. The humidity was 100% and it was foggy. When you are already sweating and then you put a helmet and riding jacket on you are not comfortable.  
               Glen (lives across the street from me) and I rode to the HEB where we met Jason. After a few minutes exchanging pleasantries we crawled on the bikes and headed out for a day of relaxation. 
               It was foggy enough to be annoying but not enough to keep us from enjoying the ride. We had ridden for about 30 minutes when I noticed that I was having an ocular migraine. These don’t occur very often but do make it difficult to drive.
               We stopped for a short rest at a gas station near the women’s prison. The migraine was subsiding and the fog had lifted. The sun was now shining brightly and the temp was about 77 degrees.
Our ride took us through open flat country and also hills with curves.
There are real ranches in Texas and the above gate leads to one such ranch.
There were lots of open spaces followed by the wooded areas with hills and curves.
Below is a look over my shoulder and that is Glen’s motorcycle coming around the curve.
No article would be complete without a photo of me (below).
Looking forward we see Jason as we are leaning into a curve at 70 mph.
We stopped for a second break at a service station in Cranfills Gap. It was here that Glen and I both found lucky pennies.
Glen is on the left and Jason on the right.
There were other bikers that we knew taking a break at the station. We discussed where we had been and where we were going. 
We rode about an hour and a half before arriving at Hammonds BBQ.
During a previous visit the waitress told me to order the kids plate and I did. There was more than enough to eat and it cost less than an adult plate (they didn’t have senior discounts).
Below are a couple photos inside the restaurant. Yes they had the Texas flag displayed and I don’t know who the fat guy was.
The far wall has license plates from various states and years.
         The ride home was fun but there were many clouds gathering in the sky. We rode through a couple areas where it had rained but it did not rain on our ride.
         We were about 10 miles from home when Glen and I went one way and Jason went the other.
The storm clouds were really close and we were seeing lightning. We could smell the rain so we decided to stop to put on our rain coats. That was a good decision because it started to rain as soon as we began riding.
We rode through rain for several miles; as we crossed the twin bridges at Lake Waco, the rain stopped. About a mile from home I stopped at the gas station to top off the tank and Glen continued on his way home.
I arrived at home about 2 minutes before the rain. The rain was welcome at, “The Ford Homestead” but the lightening was not.
I sat in the garage watching the rain and lightning. Just as quickly as the rain and storm came, it left. The sun was shining through the clouds. 
  
The End
 
From the Biker mind of   Don Ford    
     
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
                 
 

No comments: