Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cut the Cord

               We are still receiving pecans from the little tree and most of them now seem to have the umbilical cord attached.

 

               Being from Missouri I have a tendency to mispronounce words and the result is not being able to spell the word. I have always pronounced umbilical as ambilical.
 
               Speaking of umbilical cords I was a volunteer fireman for twelve years. We ran first responder on medical calls almost always arriving before the EMS people.  I always hoped we would have to deliver a baby but it never occurred while I was with the department. I always thought it would be something neat to do as long as I did not know the woman giving birth and it was here second or third child.
               The above specimen shows the state of many of “The Ford Homestead Pecans”. They fall from the tree still wrapped in the green outer layer. The part that connects to the tree is at the top where the cord connects to the green shell. The pecan is attached to the cord farther away from the tree.  So the cord lies alongside the pecan inside the green covering. One would think the pecan would connect at the top but nature has its reasons. 
 
               It is Sunday afternoon and the rain/storms seem to have gone elsewhere. I think it would be appropriate to say it is “dryer than a popcorn fart”.
This professional photo is by Don, click on it to get a better view.
               My morning started out with my coffee maker not working. Being on a fixed income I did not need this extra expense. My wife of 43 years would not rest until I purchased another coffee maker.  The new coffee maker works well and it is surprisingly cleaner than the old one.
 
               Patrick and Karla came up Saturday and we went to George’s for lunch. It was Karla’s first time at Georges and I think she enjoyed it. We did not have the “Big O”, although we did have Texas Tooth Picks (thin sliced peppers dipped in a batter and deep fried, you dip them in ranch dressing) and White Wings (cheese inside a jalapeno pepper, the pepper wrapped a piece of a chicken breast, and bacon wrapped around the chicken breast) which were baked to perfection.
 
               My wife of 43 years made tamales last week (I think she said she made 17 dozen) but ran out of something and will begin again next week. Patrick has indicated that he may come up and help with the Tamales; he wants to learn how to make them. I offered to help but my offer was not accepted.
 
               There is a free lunch at Do it Best Corp. Waco, TX this week, I plan to attend. It is their Thanksgiving lunch and old retired employees are invited. Being on a fixed income a free meal is always a good thing.
 
               I believe I get to go to school and have lunch with Gabi on Thursday. Eating with the little kids is always interesting.
 
From the always ready to eat mind of       Don Ford
 
All rights reserved; any reproduction or distribution without written permission is strictly prohibited.
 
 
                 
 

No comments: