Translate

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Scrap wood, or Toys?

Hello from the Ford Homestead of Hewitt, TX. We would like to wish you a Happy New Year.

               I have a wood work project going which I hope to complete some day and then bore you with photos and comments about the project. 

               During this project I create some scrap wood. As I was picking up some of the scrap I noticed that I could possibly make a toy boat. Alex enjoys playing with many things one of which is boats.

               Wednesday it was 70 degrees allowing me to be out in the sun working on my main wood project while I enjoyed the warm weather. 

Today (Thursday) it is mid 30s and I do not want to venture outside so I will attempt to make a boat or two in the garage.

               Below are a couple pieces of scrap wood that I have decided to work with.

               Naturally they will need to be sanded and shaped a little. Two ideas are shown below.

I have sanded some on the below prototype but not on the top (reason for color variance).

The process is easy; glue two halves together, sand and shape, glue a top on. If someone plays with them good, if not then it was just scrap wood, not a big loss. 

 

*             *             *             *             *             *             *            

Friday I worked outside picking up leaves; the mountain cedar along with the dust my lawn mower was creating cause me to sneeze, cough and my nose would not stop running. I did not have a face mask on which made it really bad. (Pretty darn good my nose can still run but I can’t.)

Today is Saturday and it has warmed up again with temps in the high 60s. It was a good day to do anything outside including, removing some of the Christmas decorations. I wore a face mask to help me breath and my allergies were not bad. I removed possibly 50% of the decorations and most if not all the extension cords. Nothing will light up tonight. 

I also was able to work on the fleet of boats as seen below.

I tried to make each of them slightly different using only scraps of wood from my main project. Although they are nothing special I have enjoyed playing with them hope Alex enjoys playing with them.

Tonight the temp is supposed to drop into the 20s and a high tomorrow of 39 degrees.

To answer a question that I am sure would be submitted to me by an adult reader:

               Will they float?  Yes they float and may be played with in the bath tub! 

I don’t know why an adult reader would ask such a question, unless he wants to play with little wood boats in the bath tub; each to his own ways.

 

Have an outstanding week and be nice to someone.

 

Don Ford

 

No comments: