Translate

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hair Cut?

Why is it called a haircut when all or most of your hair is being cut?

               As you may now know I am retired and scarcely existing on social security. When one retires they must cut back on many things including personal grooming. I understand it is hard to believe that someone as well groomed as I am has had to cut back but it is true.

               I recently received a letter and booklet from Medicare telling me they will send another book in a few weeks to help me decide how to precede. This particular letter stated that the United States Government, (this is the same government that had taken money out on my pay check for years to pay for Medicare) will be taking more money out of my SS check when I turn 65. Talk about double dipping your government is doing that.

               I digress, personal grooming should be more important to seniors because let’s face it, we need it more. It is bad enough when one has to eat cat food, dog food and road kill but when you can’t afford to go to a barber shop to get your hair cut, that is just not right. Maybe I should just cut it all off and have my head shaved. I probably could not afford the razors it would take to keep it shaved. If I did shave my head my wife may have something to say about it.  

A friend of mine who was a manager of a business told his employees he would shave his head it they raised a certain amount for a charity. This friend didn’t have a lot of hair and he had a comb over. To make a short story longer the employees donated enough money and the manager had his head shaved. This fellow also had a mustache and chin wickers that were not just gray but white. After his head was shaved he colored the mustache and whiskers. This fellow looked 10 years younger and his wife noticed. As I understand it, he was told to let his comb over grow back and he stopped coloring the facial hair.

               Now that I can’t go to the barber shop my wife has to cut my hair. Do you remember when a barber shop was for men, there were male barbers and man did not go to hair dressers?  Those were the good old days. As a kid I remember the barber was always talking and telling stories, some of which a young boy should not have heard and often did not understand.

               A couple days ago I asked my wife to cut my hair. She begrudgingly said she would so I grabbed the clippers and went to the garage. Yep, she made me sit on a stool in the garage while she cut my hair. She positioned me near the overhead door with it open so all the neighbors could see. I am surprised that the neighbors haven’t taken up a collection for us now that they know I can’t afford to get a haircut at the stylist.  

               After the haircut and a shower I went outside in the front yard. I was standing on the curb on my side of the street and Glen was on the curb on the other side of the street. His second comment was, “it looks like you got a haircut”?  When a neighbor can tell you got a hair cut from across the street it must have been a good haircut.  I should have asked if I looked younger.

 

From the well groomed mind of Don Ford

 

All rights reserved, any reproduction or distribution without written permission is prohibited.

 

 

                                                                                                                 

                  

 

No comments: