Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Food Supply       

As you may know, retired people living on Social Security have a tough time meeting all their expenses.  A person retires and their weekly check from work stops but all the same bills continue. Think about it; no weekly checks but all the same bills.

            As you may remember, in the past I have explained that there are many good recipes using cat food and dog food as a less expensive way for retired people to eat. This year there is an additional expense that I had to pay and in truth, it is the reason I wrote this note to you.  (Later in this note I will try to remember to give you an address where you can send donations to help the “Fords of Hewitt” purchase food.)  I literally had to pay out of my pocket (which took food off our table) additional money to the Government for my income tax. For many years I have gotten an amount back from the Government but as soon as I retire they make me pay out of pocket.

            Without telling the exact amount of additional taxes I had to pay it should suffice to know that “The Fords of Hewitt” can’t even afford dog or cat food for the next 6 weeks. I am sorry for unloading all this on you but I need to get it out.

            In many of my past notes, I have talked about riding my motorcycle on Thursdays to go to lunch with friends.  Last week I had a different reason for riding on Thursday and I will continue to do this for the next few weeks.  Last Thursday I was very upset at not having enough food for the home table due to paying income tax, so I got on the motorcycle and rode out into the country. As I rode I began to notice all the “Road Kill”.  There was squirrel, dog, skunk, and deer carcass on the road or just off to the side of the road in the ditch. I was able to pick up enough meat for the next week.  I was glad that I had a sharp pocket knife because I would not have been able to get the deer meat without the knife. 

Some advice when looking for road kills;

  1. It is usually better if the carcass is off the road. The carcass left on the road gets ran over repeatedly.  Although this will tenderize the animal most of the juices are smashed out.
  2. If you see a group of Buzzards eating on road kill it is best to let them have it. I have found that the buzzards are attracted by smell and if the road kill smells bad enough to attract the buzzards you probably don’t want it.  
  3. Consider how much traffic there is as you don’t want to get ran over while trying to pick up a road killed squirrel. 
  4. People will report you to the Sherriff, so keep that in mind when stopping to examine a carcass.

As you know my wife is an excellent cook and she has been able to conjure up several excellent meals from my recent country ride.  I must say no matter how she prepares the Skunk it still has a wild taste.  Donna has learned how to make excellent Fajitas using road kill.  I am getting hungry thinking about it.  Her meat loaf is really good and the ribs she grilled were good although a little tough (you do not always get young road kill)

I feel much better now that I have unloaded my problems, sorry that I unloaded on you. I believe I will go to the Star Bucks and get a coffee and oatmeal raisin cookie, which usually makes me feel good.

 

From the retired but not tired brain of     Don Ford

 

Thanks

 

All rights reserved, any reproduction or distribution without written permission is prohibited.

 

 

 

No comments: